DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After significant dethatcing, I got down to the soil. I made about 10 passes and lifted up about 11 bags of dead, thick, straw-like thatch. The picture shows what is remaining.

What is it? Perennial Grass? Poa Annua? Or something else? Any ideas would help.

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
To me it looks like fescue grass (first pic) or perennial rye grass (second pic), that has shut down or gone dormant due to heat/extremes, too much thatch, etc. Just a guess, both are very common in the US, could be anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you are right. Either way it's gone dormant. Too much thatch. Maybe over time it will wake up, now that It can breathe

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
Southeast Michigan
I’m from Cleveland Ohio just down the lake, so I’m all too familiar with the climate etc, though I fled to California long ago.

I’d say your grass is badly thatched bluegrass. Give it a lot of water and a good feed and it should fill in rapidly. This is the season; also be on the lookout for weeds popping up in the bare spaces.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's funny you say that, because I used and app, and it identified the grass as bluegrass, but I wasn't sure if it was annual or perennial. With some TLC, hopefully in a year it will bounce back.

·
Registered
19,116 Posts
It's funny you say that, because I used and app, and it identified the grass as bluegrass, but I wasn't sure if it was annual or perennial. With some TLC, hopefully in a year it will bounce back.
See if you can get a real close up of the plants themselves which I realize might be tough. If we can see what the blade and stem junctions look like, there’s a fair chance of a good ID.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some upclose photos. If it ends up being annual bluegrass, I'll just wait it out, and hit the area with pre-emergent in the fall. If it's salvageable perennial grass of some sort, I would like to know what I have to work with.
Terrestrial plant Plant Grassland Grass Agriculture

Plant Water Grass Terrestrial plant Grassland

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Grassland Grass family

1 - 10 of 10 Posts