DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

May be too late, but I'm planning to put down some Scotts Tuff Builder Weed and Feed. I need help identifying what type of grass I have in the front and back yard.

The top picture is of the back yard with septic tanks. Bottom picture is of the front yard.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
You are probably right too late but wouldn't hurt.

Looks like a little bit of everything to me. Kentucky bluegrass, mainly in back and rye grass mainly in front. With mix weeds, spider grass, bare spots, etc., mixed in here and there.

·
Registered
21,520 Posts
Hi,

May be too late, but I'm planning to put down some Scotts Tuff Builder Weed and Feed. I need help identifying what type of grass I have in the front and back yard.

The top picture is of the back yard with septic tanks. Bottom picture is of the front yard.

Thanks
Welcome!

I concur with @jmon, but it ain't too late, till, well, you know . . .

The big thing you might want to think about is overseeding.

We're here to help.

·
Registered
21,520 Posts
Note that weed and feed uses 2-4-D as its weed killer (usually) and that only kills broadleafed weeds. Based on the pictures, your yard looks pretty good @usaf060stud.

If you have other weeds, like the infamous Purple Nut Sedge (pictured below), they will require a different treatment.

I dearly hope you don't have nut sedge (I do); it's better than cancer, but only because it infests the ground, not you.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,520 Posts
Hmm.

Looks like your grass is a bit thin in places (like the top of my pate, alas).

I think I'd pass on weed and feed and give it a shot of liquid fertilizer from one of those hose-end sprayer thingies.

That will make the grass grow really fast and thicken up a bit.

You want something that is roughly equal on all the big three nutrients, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. Too much N will give fat green blades, but the plants won't spread as much.

Give it a big drink, or let it rain hard, then hit it with the fertilizer. (Then have a drink if so inclined!)

You have a bit of clover (first picture second new post) and you can hit that with some liquid 2-4-D later, after it's got a bit of a boost from the fertilizer. Do it that way, and it dies much more completely.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Give it a big drink, or let it rain hard, then hit it with the fertilizer. (Then have a drink if so inclined!)

You have a bit of clover (first picture second new post) and you can hit that with some liquid 2-4-D later, after it's got a bit of a boost from the fertilizer. Do it that way, and it dies much more completely.
so soak the grass even before using one of the "hose-end sprayer thingies?"

·
Registered
21,520 Posts
so soak the grass even before using one of the "hose-end sprayer thingies?"
YES!

The reason is you want to get the grass good and moist; liquid food is like an energy drink for the grass, but if you water after it washes away.

So water before, then pour it on.

Show us pictures!

Hope this helps! :vs_cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.