DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
that works. I too do ot like a tub under a window especially if the tub is to have a shower as well.
I have a couple of ideas depending on dimensions? Could you give us those please? Include wdw height from floor and distances to walls.
sink where closet is and turn toilet and under the window. this would lose storage but have a more open feel

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
don't think you have enough elbow room for the toilet, think you need 15" from center to wall, so 30" total width min. required.

Maybe put the toilet where the closet is. You can hang a 12" deep wall cabinet above the toilet that will give you some storage.

Also wall mount sinks or pedestals can free up a cramped space,

good luck

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
sink where closet is and turn toilet and under the window. this would lose storage but have a more open feel
I like this idea and then you can put a set of small shallow wall cabinets along the wall with the think of the toilet are now. I'm guessing they could be about 12" deep which should be sufficient to store anything you normally have in a bathroom. You can put sliding doors on them so I didn't take up additional space when opened.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,221 Posts
If I was going to totally gut the room, I would consider replacing the 60" tub with either one that is 54" (there are some out there) or a custom shower. That should give enough elbow room to put the toilet where the closet is. I don't like seeing the toilet first thing when you walk in the room.

I saw a pic once (sorry I don't have it) that appealed to me. It was probably custom, but to best describe it, picture several (probably six or eight feet total) of shallow (12" deep) upper kitchen cabinets used as base, with one of those shallow euro sinks on top, and of course a counter top. It looked like it would allow a lot of storage, yet still keep the floor open. I would do as much as I could fit where the sink and toilet currently are.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
You should also show what's on the other side of door and closet.?
For example; can the door be moved ( centered ) in that wall.?
If not, could it be possible to install a pocket door.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have thought about doing away with the tub & converting it to just a stand-up shower, but since it's the only bathroom, I figured we should probably hang onto the tub. There's a hallway outside the door; a closet opposite the bathroom door inside the hallway. I've thought about a pocket door... The wall between the closet & the tub contains the shower plumbing and the wall behind the closet contains an old chimney that we only know about by viewing it from the attic.

**Found something odd today... Was taking out some drywall, to install inset shelves & rather than having the drywall fastened to the beams, there's additional 2x4s running horizontal to the floor and the drywall is screwed into that. That's weird, right?

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
**Found something odd today... Was taking out some drywall, to install inset shelves & rather than having the drywall fastened to the beams, there's additional 2x4s running horizontal to the floor and the drywall is screwed into that. That's weird, right?

It was probably done during a previous remodel. The vertical wall studs behind it are most likely uneven and would have made a wavy wall if drywall was attached directly. Usually done with 1 x 4 not 2 x 4, but not so weird really,

·
Cruising into the sunset
612 Posts
This is a VERY small bathroom that's in our basement. Maybe you can get some ideas from this.

• I bought a small cabinet and sink that I had to squeeze in, but it fit.
  • I left the shelving open because I didn't want to make a custom door for it.
  • And I made sure to install a powerful bath fan to expel the humidity from the shower.

·
Registered
217 Posts
How about a pocket door...it sure would free up some precious floor space. That would be on my short list.

Another suggestion...don't put your toilet in a closet with a door...I have seen and been in a lot of these in what now has become a fad in spec homes around here. Reason...you put one in a master bath...and don't leave enough room and you ever want to sell you home...and a very qualified, but very large person, wants to buy your home....opps...deal breaker.

Sure, some people don't like seeing the toilet as soon as they walk into the toilet room...aka the bathroom. Me, I don't mind as long as it's a nice accommodation. That doesn't mean that you can't hide it behind a half wall or recess...but be sure it's not in a cramped space.

Just my two cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.