DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are doing a kitchen reno. The first picture shows the view as we enter the house. In front is a short hallway (hardwood), then kitchen up ahead with currently cork flooring. The left doorway in the hallway leads to the living room. We will knock down the green wall (photo 2) and join the kitchen and dining room. Photo 3 shows the view from the dining room looking towards the living room.

Here's the thing - my contractor says I should extend the vinyl flooring from the entrance, to the kitchen all the way to the dining room since there will be no wall anymore separating the kitchen from the dining room. He believes the separator should go between the dining room and living room (photo 3).

However, my floor guy (20 years in the business) says that he has no idea why the contractor would propose flooring the dining room as well. He thinks it is going to look ugly since the dining room and living room go logically together in my house. He says as long as the island we want to put doesn't overlap with the dining room, we should keep our hardwood floor in the living room.

For all the pros out there, what should I do??

Thanks a million

Attachments

·
Hammered Thumb
3,987 Posts
I probably wouldn't extend the foyer tile, the stair and hall connect well with the living. The transition of flooring should occur at natural design points, like wall corners/ends etc. A floor plan would better show possible opportunities for that, I can kinda tell the layout but not sure how much wall is being removed.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Disagree with the contractor. I wouldn't want or put kitchen flooring in the dining room. Would be very strange looking. :vs_OMG: In open concept homes I've seen, the kitchen floor stays in the kitchen and the living and dining areas would be hardwood.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the response. I don't have a floor plan, unfortunately. Only the green wall is being removed completely (the one separating the kitchen from dining room). So then the floor guy is right I'm taking...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.