DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am about to install flooring in my basement (in my city, the basement is underground) - right now the floor is bare concrete. I am laying DMX airflow as the subfloor substrate

In my basement family/theater room and office/bedroom (my wife wants carpet - for the comfort/soft feeling on the feet - so done). For the hallway and kitchenette - i am off multiple minds

1. carpet in the hallway, tile kitchenette
2. laminate the hallway and the kitchenette
3. vinyl the hallway and kitchenette

i am leaning to #2 - just because of the thickness of the product (and we like the wood look) - the vinyl seems thin - i am worried about the comfort

i read on the world wide web - if there is a moisture problems use vinyl - how does one define moisture problem?

if my basement gets flooded (sewer back-up) - i dont care that its vinyl, its still being replaced (gross)

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,252 Posts
A moisture problem occurs if there is a high water table in your area, and it is wicking through the foundation walls.

A moisture meter might help you decide if the walls are wicking water.

If the basement was properly waterproofed at construction it should be dry inside, unless as you say it floods from a sewage backup, or a natural disaster.

ED

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So vinyl or laminate?

i dont think i have a moisture problem - also in the summer i will likely buy a dehumidifier for my basement

every store i went into is pushing me to laminate... i dont know why... i am skeptical and its hard to find an answer online...

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,252 Posts
If you are speaking of vinyl that comes in a roll, I know that it is thin and wears through too fast to suit me.

I have had to replace some that was installed before I bought.

If the vinyl is a laminate like plank and installs like laminate plank you might get by with it.

Any wood based laminate planks will de-laminate quickly if they get too wet.

Pick whatever the "BOSS" likes, and use that.

Nothing else matters .

ED

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol -

both are planks - laminate is cheaper

boss wants everything and the moon! gotta make a smart decision somewhere

1 - 5 of 5 Posts