DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in a rural area and don't have a lot of choices of paint stores so our options are limited. We want a paint and primer in one and we have Sherwin Williams, Menards and Diamond Vogel in our area. We know someone who has used Dutch Boy Dura Weather Maxbond and has been happy with it, but I have heard SW Duration is a better choice, know nothing about DV paints. We will be power washing our wood siding to remove all the loose paint and then sanding any rough areas and doing the painting ourselves. I need recommendations on paint and if there is anything special we need to know about using these paint/primer one coat paints? Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
imho i believe paint and primer is nothing but marketing hype.its either one or the other .if you need it as a primer its a primer ,tho not a very good primer .when you use it as a paint its a paint:huh: in other words for an application where you need a primer your still going to put down 2 coats anyways.what i would do is spot prime any bare wood with oil primer ,then 2 coats super paint or one or 2 coats duration. ps s/w super paint interior is excellent paint ,i use a lot of it ,now printed on paint can it states it is self priming .it the same paint as always same formula ,but it says it on the can oh ok i guess it self priming:huh:

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
imho i believe paint and primer is nothing but marketing hype.its either one or the other .if you need it as a primer its a primer ,tho not a very good primer .when you use it as a paint its a paint:huh: in other words for an application where you need a primer your still going to put down 2 coats anyways.what i would do is spot prime any bare wood with oil primer ,then 2 coats super paint or one or 2 coats duration. ps s/w super paint interior is excellent paint ,i use a lot of it ,now printed on paint can it states it is self priming .it the same paint as always same formula ,but it says it on the can oh ok i guess it self priming:huh:
Well said, ltd. I would buy SW's best oil base primer and topcoat with SuperPaint or Duration.

·
Painting Company, NY
1,039 Posts
Sherwin Williams Duration is a great paint, but you still need to prime any bare wood. If you want to save a little money I would go with SW Superpaint, as that is a premium paint too and a little cheaper than Duration. We use Superpaint for most of our exterior re paints. When Sherwin Williams says self priming they usually mean that a primer is not needed when going over a previously painted surface that does not have raw wood or drywall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.