DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Live edge furniture, river tables, currently making natural stone wall and hearth for wood stove.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just build a wall for my new wood stove using mostly local stones found in a nearby creek bed. All types: flagstone, quartz, granite, mica, bloodstone, even a cross section of a conch shell from Florida!

The wall was cleaned with a mild muriatic solution to remove the haze from the mortar and grout. The acid was neutralized with a mild baking soda solution, and all traces of that solution were removed with diluted vinegar. (TRhe photo below shows it before it finished drying.) After drying, there was no remaining haze and the stone colors were vibrant!

Last night, I applied a coat of sealant (Aqua Mix UltraSeal Premium Stone and Tile Sealer). Applied liberally and gently wiped off the excess. Beautiful, but I think I prefer the "wet look".... I am considering using Black Diamond Color Enhancer/Sealer or their "Wet Look" Sealer....

HOWEVER...
This morning, I awoke to find that a light grey haze had appeared. It does not wipe off or buff off easily.

QUESTION:
1.) Do I need to remove this haze from the previous sealant, before applying the "wet look" sealant? If so, what should I use to remove it? (Is there anything as effective as muriatic but less caustic?)
2.) Is there any major reason why I should choose the Color Enhancer product over the Wet Look product? Or can you recommend a better product for a nice glossy wet-look finish than either Black Diamond product? (Especially if it won't require removing the haze from the Aqua Mix sealant?)

Thanks for your suggestions,

Zeke

·
Registered
Live edge furniture, river tables, currently making natural stone wall and hearth for wood stove.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FOLLOW-UP: My neighbor suggested that I left the sealant on too long before wiping, or that I didn't wipe off enough.... that is what he thinks the grey haze is caused by. It might be....

BUT. wil a second coat of the other sealant maybe liquefy the first coat, so that it restores the clear finish and I can rub/buff off the extra sealant then?

·
Registered
654 Posts
You should have wiped off the sealer before it dried. If you left any puddles or wet spots and let them dry ... you screwed up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should have wiped off the sealer before it dried. If you left any puddles or wet spots and let them dry ... you screwed up.

No puddles or wet spots on the wall.... LOL
But suppose I didn't wipe it hard enough and "screwed up", as Half-Fast Eddie astutely points out.... LOL
It only brings us back to my original and yet unanswred questions:

QUESTION:
1.) Do I need to remove this haze from the previous sealant, before applying the "wet look" sealant? If so, what should I use to remove it? (Is there anything as effective as muriatic but less caustic?)
2.) Is there any major reason why I should choose the Color Enhancer product over the Wet Look product? Or can you recommend a better product for a nice glossy wet-look finish than either Black Diamond product? (Especially if it won't require removing the haze from the Aqua Mix sealant?)

·
Registered
654 Posts
You should contact customer service of the first brand and ask them 2 things: how to remove the haze, and recommendation for a glossy finish. I don’t know if this is the case, but you don’t want to be applying an incompatible product as a top coat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should contact customer service of the first brand and ask them 2 things: how to remove the haze, and recommendation for a glossy finish. I don’t know if this is the case, but you don’t want to be applying an incompatible product as a top coat.
Yeah,I purchased this Aquamix UltraSeal product a few years ago, and Aqua Mix, Inc., has since been bought out by Custom Building Products (CBP) and changed their product line. I called the CBP toll-free tech support number last Thursday and waited on hold for a live rep for 45 minutes before hanging up. We also submited my question(s) by email but haven't heard back. But also by posting in this DIY Chatroom, I had hoped to get advice and insights from others more experienced with these various products and might have good ideas to be productive and get more done this weekend...

Also, whereas CBP has a whole lineup of different products for stonework, several online reviews have rated the Black Diamond product(s) higher than the AquaMix line, especially on an interior stone wall behind a wood stove where it will be exposed to years of higher temperatures. I don't want to reapply the sealant every year or two if I can help it. So I'm exploing product options... if you have any experience with Black Diamond products, or have other products that you highly recommend, I'm interested in what suggestions you may have!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FOLLOW-UP: CBP called me back this morning. They recommended using their Nanoscrub product to remove the previous sealant before resealing with a glossy wet-look product. They do not carry such a product and could not recommend one.

If you can, please reply here, or to my newest post on this board.

Thanks a bunch, DIY'ers!!!

Zeke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts