DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today I received a message from a lady in the office saying she could not open the last inspection I sent this last saturday. Not sure what happened but working on a solution so I can resend. Thought they might respond a week or two ago when they received the first one. The building inspector's office replied to say they couldn't help me and that it sounded as if I would need to hire attorney. I really don't want to go down that road...thank you!
Peggy, I am in your area. Rutherford Co actually. Have you heard of Dale Cardwell? He is a consumer advocate helping homeowners in Ga and Tn, has a tv show on early Sat mornings. He may be able to help you. here is his website.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Peggy, I am in your area. Rutherford Co actually. Have you heard of Dale Cardwell? He is a consumer advocate helping homeowners in Ga and Tn, has a tv show on early Sat mornings. He may be able to help you. here is his website.

Thanks for the information. I will check out his website.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
if you go on FB, Nextdoor, etc for your town. make a post asking if someone has delt with this company. don't get into details, just ask and maybe say you are not happy.

on my local FB page, there is a guy that offers to help people with their houses. one day he asked if someone wanted to make good money helping to do some drywall. so i go to help this guy, remember i am just the laborer, and this guy "literally" had "no idea" of what he was about to do. i honestly don't think he ever patched a hole in a wall. so i ended up supervising the operation. i was doing the work correctly, he and his 2 punk other guys, not even close, abysmal actually <fact. so those clowns were slapping the mud on there, at the same time making snide remarks about me working slower. 2 days, 4hrs each, and i was done.

my point. sadly, you need to know how things should be before they start doing work. and if/when it starts going bad, STOP them.
I

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Today I got email from Clinard. It said that they had looked at photos of inspections and want to schedule a day to come and finish up. There would be supervisor on site. Would be done in one day. I haven’t responded but seems like they are over simplifying the situation. Did not address how repairs would be done or if they are in agreement with items that need to be redone. Did not take any responsibility nor offer any apologies. I think that I should do detailed list as one of you us advised and ask for details on how items will be completed. Pretty obvious to me that they want to do bare minimum and expect me to accept. 2 main concerns I have and hoping you guys can advise me. One is that they did not leave any shingles that were left for me. So if they need to replace any while doing flashing...I am concerned they may not match up. Second is that the shingle overhang being so uneven really looks bad and will be obvious on gables. GAF technical department said that cutting would not be how they would recommend and were at a loss as to why it is so jagged. He said their instructions clearly state what’re overhang should be. So what do you think? One last thing when I look at the fascia on gables it has gaps and every nail shows, there are small dents...my neighbor just had same work done and fascia is smooth, nails barely show and it is tight very neat looking. Should I ask that they replace and use different installers? I know you guys will be glad to see the last of me🤣

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hi There, if you had to go in and fix a new roof that had uneven shingle overhang on all 4 sides what would you do?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Tell Clinard that you want the Gaf rep to visit with someone senior from the company, and the 3 of you will discuss the problems and the method of repair before the crew shows up. Tell them it has to be an owner or senior project manager, not a supervisor or foreman … someone who is authorized to make commitments for the company. Tell them you are waiting for a call back from Dale Cardwell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Tell Clinard that you want the Gaf rep to visit with someone senior from the company, and the 3 of you will discuss the problems and the method of repair before the crew shows up. Tell them it has to be an owner or senior project manager, not a supervisor or foreman … someone who is authorized to make commitments for the company. Tell them you are waiting for a call back from Dale Cardwell.
Thank you so much! I like the way you think! When I had called GAF to see if they had a rep in the area that could look at the roof they told me only if it had been installed by one of their contractors on their website. I don't know where they bought the shingles but maybe the supplier will have a rep in the area? I can always call GAF back and see if there isn't someone they can direct me to! I have been looking at a lot of posts regarding the fascia/drip edge on the rake edges and the more I read the worse that part of the job looks to. Even on the dormers. I think I have so briefly looked at the pictures (over and over again) but not really paying attention to what the remarks and photos mean in terms of the different trades that were here. Great about Dale Cardwell! Never would have thought of that. I haven't been in touch with him but I will be. Kind of forgot about him until you reminded me. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
This implies that they are an authorized Gaf installer. Although i could not find anything on their web page that called out any brand names. And they misspelled “manufacturers”.

A0BD9304-3433-4B5A-A4E9-19C43BD0A65B.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
This implies that they are an authorized Gaf installer. Although i could not find anything on their web page that called out any brand names. And they misspelled “manufacturers”.

View attachment 659100
Well, guess that tells us something about their attention to detail! I woke up this morning thinking about the poor siding job and how one of the duos brought 3 young boys, like 11-12 yrs old. One of them was giving a youngster a piece of trim (small) and telling him to cut one like it. I don't know where my brain was except I remember thinking well, I am sure if he cuts it the wrong way dad would do-over! I was outside to take the dog out and told the boys to be sure to watch for falling objects as one of the boys ducked to avoid being hit. Clinard is supposed to have a very good reputation for windows/gutters/siding so I was shocked and disappointed. One of the guys never put his shirt on which was offensive to me but wasn't until my next-door neighbor mentioned having been offended did I wish I had told him to put his shirt on! I will be so grateful when this whole situation is over and I can sleep at night!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts