DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had roof installed by a long established company here in Nashville. Finished roof at dark on Friday a few weeks ago. Left and next am I saw that they failed to clean up, use magnet...waited until Mon and then they came out and cleaned up to some degree. I pointed out damage to paint on my front railing and back one; damage to a shrub. Agreed to paint the railing. Later I realized that they did not replace any of the flashings per contract. Not dormers, not chimney, not drip edge on rear; installed gutter in back of front drip edge. Omitted installing one boot on vent. Were to install new gable vents, installed solid vinyl instead. On day of roof install there was one person from construction that spent maybe 3-5 minutes and left. No one else supervised, talked with me or inspected the roof upon completion, same was true of siding/gutter installers. Never had anyone in supervisory position check job. It was obvious as far as the roof was concerned they considered it complete. They still have some gutters and trim to install but I told them in light of all of the above I wanted to have roof inspected which I have done/2 roofing companies have inspected and have been paid by me for their time. Frankly, I don't want them back on my property. Hale damage covered by insurance and check was sent to me and I still have the funds. I am not unreasonable (I hope I am not) but I am hoping I would be justified in sending them all info and asking to cancel agreement so I can hire another roofer to start over but that may be unreasonable on my part. Need advice/opinions please. I am 73, do not have a family member who could step in and help me navigate this! Thanks for any recommendations you may make. Both inspections found basically the same shortfalls; one said that they could trim shingles on edge, other said that it was not per manufacturer guidelines and repairs would be major, that you can not just cut off edge because of the adhesive. He also said that job was not to accepted standards and his opinion is that it should be redone. I feel like they were being fraudulent, hoping I would accept the roof as acceptable and finished when they had to know it isn't! Peggy 82

Attachments

·
Registered
Building my last home
909 Posts
I hope they have a state license. Contact the state licensing office and file a complaint.
Document everything , pictures, pictures and never talk to the company with out a recording.
This might be a long battle or if your licensing board is like mine the company will knuckle and do the repairs.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Peggy … delete the picture of the vent pipe, it shows your address.

I think you are required to give them the opportunity to fix the problems.

The gable vent … your story says they installed vinyl … thats what shows on the proposal. I dont understand the problem.

The problems you mention are serious, you are right to hold payment.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
You need to give them an opportunity to make it right. You cannot simply cancel a valid contract. If the process plays out and you eventually have to hire someone else to fix things, you might be able to deduct it from the contract sum. I would give them a chance to fix it and if they don’t you need legal advice, not DIY forum advice. You might be able to deduct legal fees from the contract sum but only if your lawyer says it is legal.

Reactions: bob22

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peggy … delete the picture of the vent pipe, it shows your address.

I think you are required to give them the opportunity to fix the problems.

The gable vent … your story says they installed vinyl … thats what shows on the proposal. I dont understand the problem.

The problems you mention are serious, you are right to hold payment.
Thanks for your input. The issue with the gable ends is that I had gable vents and they took them out, and I suppose used some siding leftover from the dormers for the gables instead of installing new gable vents. I understand and the inspectors said the same, that typically legally the powers that be want to see that you gave company opportunity to fix issues. From my perspective, how can I ever be confident that what defects have been seen that there aren't even more that you can not see on visual inspection? I just don't trust them to work on my home any further. I believe that they were ready to snow me into accepting the job as it was; the only reason they came out the following Monday was that I was having a fit about the damage to my home and the horrific mess they left behind. One of the guys was the owner of the company (bought 2 years ago from original owner which probably accounts for the shoddy job) as well as a guy who said "it isn't the company's fault, I am responsible for the roofing crews"?! I said and yet this is the first time you have been here? And reason he was here at all was to give me an estimate on interior damage. And during the time they were here they never expressed any interest in looking at the install. Isn't that pure negligence on their part? And, telling the siding guys to put a piece of aluminum over the old flashing "to make it look better"? I am confused about the overhang since one inspector said to trim off excess and the other said that voided warranty and that you shouldn't do that because of the adhesive strip? He said that to correct it would be to remove a couple rows of shingles at the perimeter and lay new ones correctly but they might not match, would be expensive (labor intensive) and would be better to reroof....you are right, I know I need to get in touch with codes...or whomever. I had hoped GAF might have a rep in the area that would evaluate to be sure my warranty would not be affected. But apparently unless one of their approved companies, having gone through extensive education on their products they could not send anyone out. I will delete the one showing my address, thanks for noticing! About not being able to void a legal contract, haven't they already breached the contract by not adhering to the specs outlined on the contract and underperforming according to standard building practices? Had they done all they were supposed to and done a correct install they would have been paid right away. It is not me that violated the terms, I hired them in good faith and never, for a second doubted they would do a quality job. They have been in business for decades! I suppose one avenue would be to have them do all of the repairs with understanding there would be a reinspection to determine all has been rectified? I really do hate doing business with deceitful people!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
. From my perspective, how can I ever be confident that what defects have been seen that there aren't even more that you can not see on visual inspection?
, haven't they already breached the contract by not adhering to the specs outlined on the contract and underperforming according to standard building practices?
1. Delete the picture of the roof vent.
2. You have done the right thing by hiring other roofers to check their work. Do that again, as often as needed, and deduct the cost from the original contract.
3. No breach, just poor work.
4. Delete the picture.

·
Registered
appliances
1,141 Posts
Complain to the authorities.
If someone comes by later to break your kneecaps, you've been betrayed.
And, nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised.

These guys don't get that kind of chutzpah from nothing. They know, on average, what they can get away with.
You are a sitting duck. :(

BTW, I complained to the police about kids racing on our street, and the cop threatened me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1. Delete the picture of the roof vent.
2. You have done the right thing by hiring other roofers to check their work. Do that again, as often as needed, and deduct the cost from the original contract.
3. No breach, just poor work.
4. Delete the picture.
I have tried to delete picture but guess I am not understanding the process because I haven't succeeded as of yet. If anyone has a moment and could send me instructions I would greatly appreciate it. In the meantime I will try again tonight! Have a major headache
have you contacted the city code people ?
I have message ready to send via email in the morning with one of the inspection reports attached but hesitated on whether I should include report. At any rate I am going to make the calls in the morning. If anyone out there has experience at deleting photos I could use a pointer, haven't had any success in deleting one with my address.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the Tennessee Dept Of Commerce & Insurance …

View attachment 658088
View attachment 658089
Complain to the authorities.
If someone comes by later to break your kneecaps, you've been betrayed.
And, nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised.

These guys don't get that kind of chutzpah from nothing. They know, on average, what they can get away with.
You are a sitting duck. :(

BTW, I complained to the police about kids racing on our street, and the cop threatened me.
Oh, gosh not great place to be, "a sitting duck"! But you most likely are right about that. I can't help but wonder if they would have acted in the way they have if I were a guy! And...feel silly for wondering... thanks for sending me the information on the company. I really thought I had taken photos of the contract omitting company's name, wasn't intentional to put it out there.

·
Super Moderator
6,797 Posts
I have tried to delete picture but guess I am not understanding the process because I haven't succeeded as of yet. If anyone has a moment and could send me instructions I would greatly appreciate it. In the meantime I will try again tonight! Have a major headache
In the upper right hand corner of your post there are three vertical dots, click on them, scroll down to edit, and edit your post to remove pic.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
In the upper right hand corner of your post there are three vertical dots, click on them, scroll down to edit, and edit your post to remove pic.
Right. You need to put the cursor to the right or below the picture, and the hit “backspace” key.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In my area anything involving "removing more than the shingles" qualifies as "a new roof being put on" and requires county approval before any work begins.

(if they don't, they'd find new structures going up they didn't know about, and have unsafe roofs too)

·
Registered
295 Posts
YOU HAVE TO CONTACT YOUR BANK WITHIN 30 DAYS OR EARLIER TO STOP PAYMENT.

If you don't, you'll never ever recover anything.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts