DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing a wood burning fireplace and the chimney runs out the back of my house and on up. I have removed the chimney but the hole through the wall is a little rough and a bit larger than the 7 inch diameter. What i thought might be a solution would be to get a 7 inch cap with a flange that has a 2 inch or so lip on it that would cover the hole in the wall. If that does work where might I find a flange like that? What do you guys think? Any suggestions are welcomed.Thanks.

·
Registered
37,269 Posts
Got a picture.
What's on the outside and inside walls that's preventing you from fixing it right instead of just plugging the hole.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post a picture tomorrow. What do you mean fix it right I thought plugging it was the correct fix. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
37,269 Posts
Since there is no picture we have to guess. From your description all I can picture is a hole in the inside and outside wall with no insulation in the hole.
How was the outside wall fixed where the chimmney was?
Is this just a sheetrock wall, plaster, paneling?
What I'm trying to suggest is instead of having to look a plug sticking out of the wall why not just patch it so the whole wall looks the same.

·
Administrator
40,352 Posts
I believe the right way would be to brick it shut.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Fill the hole in with insulation or expansion foam then finish the interior and exterior the the same as the existing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts