DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have an old Craftsman 10" table saw that I bought off Craigslist years ago and want to buy a dado blade primarily to cut mortise and tenon joints on 3/4" thick wood. Got any recommendations?

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
Do you mean rabbets/dados? You wouldn't normally use a dado blade for M&T, the regular blade is used.

As for brands, Forrest is pretty good, Freud is a bit more budget friendly. I got mine at a rummage sale, it's just a 6" but hey, for $14 I couldn't complain that much. I would prefer an 8", though, so I wouldn't have to crank my table saw adjuster all the way up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've considered doing rabbet joints too, but wanted to try my hand at joint with no fasteners...

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
A man after my own heart. I use screws only when absolutely necessary, and try to hide them whenever possible.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
I bought a set at Harbor Freight many years ago--carbide---they are okay but getting dull---

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
costgeek said:
I've been using dowels and the joints appear plenty strong...maybe I should stick with that...
It depends on what you're doing. Dowels work well in some joints, dados in others. A dado stack is definitely a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Dado blades are not cheap so before you buy one check your arbor. Some Craftsman saws have a short arbor so you can only use part of a dado set. As for brand I really like my Freud set.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Love my Freud 6" "professional" model, SD206 I think but am not home to look. Square, flat bottom cuts in anything I feed to it. Six inch size is fine for me because even with a sled Because I am never cutting a dado deeper than maybe 3/4 of an inch. WithOUT a sled it can handle an inch and a half. Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts