DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a small bathroom and biggest pain in the rear is that the tub is very shallow and gets cold very fast if you want to use it as a soaking tub.

Size is a challenge. I measured 58-59 inches tub length.

I would really welcome 2 solutions or 3 if there is anything else I am not considering.

1) Cheap solution. How do you get a soaking tub in there? Since size is different in height, still will need to change the tiles?

2) Major renovation of entire bathroom? Budget is open. $5k? 10k?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would say it depends on what finished look you want. Of course it is possible to change out the tub and "try" to save the tile work, if that is what you are hoping to do. But the result, in my opinion, will not look nice.

If budget is not super tight, I would look into moving the shower plumbing to the outside wall, then removing the entire bath surround. But to be clear, I'm just a fellow DIYer. I typically come up with great ideas and then my contractor tells me if I'm crazy or not. GOOD LUCK!

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts
The tub is measured flange to flange so it is likely 60 inches, tile and backing will easily be 1 1/2".
My acrylic tub is 19" high, If you gut the room, the tub install is fairly straight forward.

·
retired framer
51,361 Posts
I would say it depends on what finished look you want. Of course it is possible to change out the tub and "try" to save the tile work, if that is what you are hoping to do. But the result, in my opinion, will not look nice.

If budget is not super tight, I would look into moving the shower plumbing to the outside wall, then removing the entire bath surround. But to be clear, I'm just a fellow DIYer. I typically come up with great ideas and then my contractor tells me if I'm crazy or not. GOOD LUCK!
Where I live there is no plumbing in the outside wall anymore. And if the outside wall is 2x4 then you would not cheat the insulation for anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts