DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could really use some speedy help here if at all possible, as I had to turn the water main off to my house due to a boo-boo I just made.

In making an attempt to remove the line behind the wall that feeds to my fridge and icemaker, I snapped off the entire valve and water went everywhere (quite comical, like in the movies).

Anyway I have no idea how this little valve attached to the pipe now and need to know what part(s) I need to ask for at my local supply store.

Here's a photo of the value that came off...

And here's what it looks like in the wall where it came off. I need to know what I need for the hole in the top to join it to the valve below securely. Sorry for the blur but it was tough to get a good shot in there but hopefully that is enough.

Any speedy help on what I need to re-secure this valve to the main house line would be most appreciated...So I can at least turn my house water back on. :) By the way I really hope this wasn't and doesn't need to be welded on there or something...Because if it was before they sure did a terrible job of it!

Thanks! As always really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Little extra info - I stuck the piece back onto the top and it sort of just fits in there, not super snug or anything but it does sort of pop into the top there. As there are no threads on either the valve bottom or the hole that goes into the water line I assume this was soldered/welded on there? And if that's the case I should call a plumber??

·
Registered
37 Posts
thats called a saddle valve. It's hard to tell from the picture where or how it broke but what I would do is remove the piece where the hole is. If your not good at soldering then pick up a shark bite fitting they just snap on to the pipe. Then buy a new saddle valve and re install it a little further down the pipe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, you are exactly right - Maybe I can even get a shark bite tee and put in a better valve? Are the shark bites reliable though? This is behind the wall and I'd sure like the peace of mind of knowing it's not leaking!

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
Shark bite are tough

FORGET THE SADDLE VALVE

LAT ME SAY IT AGAIN

FORGET THE SADDLE VALVE!!!!!

Get a 1/2" shark bite "T"
Cut the pipe to remove the hole in the pipe and install the SB
Get a short piece of 1/2" (5/8) copper about 3"
Install the short piece of copper in the "T"
Get a 5/8" compression to 1/4" straight or angled stop and install on the copper.
Connect the water line to the valve

Saddle valves suck

Using a stop valve will be better and safer

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
Now your thinking like a plumber.

BUTT,

JUST SAY NO TO CRACK:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts