DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to tile 2 bathrooms with 5/16" thick subway tile.

Im going to use profiles for the edging profiles.

For 5/16" tile do you guys use 5/16" profiles or 3/8" profile. the 5/16" profile is a tiny bit larger than the tile. Where the 3/8" profile leaves more like a 1/8" gap.

So this really comes down to how thick the finished thinset will be on the wall. And how proud the profile OR tile should be.

The tile im using is 4x12x5/16"

The 1st pic shows the tile on a 5/16 profile. They didn't have 3/8" profiles in stock.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile...le-10-64-sq-ft-case-RE15412MODHD1P2/311781598

Attachments

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Never having used either, I would buy a sample, lay up some tile and then decide but the picture looks fine to me. By virtue of the fact they one and not the other in stock I would assume it is the more popular.

Reactions: jaketrades

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
With that size tile, you should be using a 1/4" square trowel at a minimum. If you think about it, a 1/4" square next to a 1/4" valley, resulting in exactly 1/8" thinset when pressed down. You can fudge this one way or the other by building up or pressing down the thinset at the profile edge. Sounds like the 3/8" is what you want though.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Never having used either, I would buy a sample, lay up some tile and then decide but the picture looks fine to me. By virtue of the fact they one and not the other in stock I would assume it is the more popular.

It's the more "popular", that's because most tile is not 5/16" thick. Also, people by the wrong size because they don't take thinset thickness into account correctly. The result of all that is 5/16 doesn't sell as much, so it's not stocked as much.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinset is going on at about the same thickness BEHIND both the profile and the tile. If that's the way it works in a real application, the tile and profile should end up about flush to one another.

I'm not sure it has to do with tile thickness popularity.

I went to numerous Home depot's and they all had 3/8 but no 5/16.

I went to the Tile Shop store (pretty cool place - but pricey) and they had both 5/16 and 3/8.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Thinset is going on at about the same thickness BEHIND both the profile and the tile. If that's the way it works in a real application, the tile and profile should end up about flush to one another.

You would never put as much thinset behind the profile as the tile. The profile should sit basically flush with the substrate and there should be almost no thinset underneath it. It's mostly the tile on top that keeps the profile in place. There are many different profiles but this should give you a rough idea.

https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.ama...es/h51/h95/8802488975390/Showerprofile-SA.jpg

I'm not sure it has to do with tile thickness popularity.

I went to numerous Home depot's and they all had 3/8 but no 5/16.

I went to the Tile Shop store (pretty cool place - but pricey) and they had both 5/16 and 3/8.

Right, exactly. Tile Shop sells WAY more tile than Home Depot does, and so they can afford to keep the bigger profile in stock because they sell so much more thick tile than Home Depot does. Home Depot has to be much more careful about what they put on their shelves in terms of space and they don't sell nearly as much of the bigger profile. Tile Shop is a specialty shop that can do it. In that sense that's what "popular" means to each store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.