DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to install two 30 inch pocket doors that meet in the middle. What is the required size of the 10' header I'll have to install? This is on the first floor of a two story house. I have 9' ceilings. I was planning on using 2 - 2x12's with OS plywood glued and screwed in between. Is that big enough? or is a 14 inch or 16 inch high header required?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Greatly depends on if it is a bearing wall or not. 10' is a significant span if there is loads involved and may require more than 2-2x12's. If it's not a load bearing wall then your header as described will be more than sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
14,218 Posts
The header isn't your only concern, you will be transferring the weight from the 10' wall to two points. (each end of the header) You will need to address those areas to be sure there is sufficient support for that kind of pressure.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The header isn't your only concern, you will be transferring the weight from the 10' wall to two points. (each end of the header) You will need to address those areas to be sure there is sufficient support for that kind of pressure.
Oh yes, that's that "more than 2-2x12's" part...10' span on a bearing partition is an involved project that requires much more work than just a header install...Beam, Posts, (additional in basement if there is one) & footings once you've built temporary structural walls of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts