DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So long story short we had HVAC installed so the contractors removed the baseboard heaters. First day or 2 I didn't think anything of it and I vacuumed up all the debris (dust and pain chips) that accumulated. Then it dawned on me to check for lead. The top layer was negative but a lot of the bare was was showing and that tested positive. Pretty much every baseboard in the house is. The dining room is probably in the worst shape with a ton of flaking. Today I went to Home Depot and bought some supplies. I laid down 6mil plastic, threw on a tyvek suit and gloves with a respirator. Lathered on citristrip and most of the paint came right off with very very minimal scraping. rolled everything up in the plastic and wiped the floor with a damp sponge. Tested the wood again and only the bare wood is testing positive. I have 2 consumer HEPA vacuums positioned in front of the baseboard. The rest of the baseboard have minimal chipping so my thought is to just encapsulate everything. Clean they up initially with just a damp sponge. Any thoughts and recommendations?

·
Naildriver
17,083 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Out of curiosity what did you use to test for lead? Link us to the product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both of these

1 - 5 of 5 Posts