DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a pergola over my existing deck. It measures 12 x 17. The longest beams I can find at HD are 16' therefore I'll have to join 2 beams in the middle post. What would be the best way to join them?:(

·
Registered
164 Posts
What size beam are you planning on using? Perhaps double up with smaller sized lumber and acheive the same span at little additional cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies.:thumbsup:

I already have 3 posts in each side so I'll use one of the recommended joints mnetioned earlier by getting 6 12' beams.

Any ideas about creating a template for the ends?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attaching rafters to the beams.

My beams are up and ready for the rafters. I've read many things about pergolas but I still have some questions and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. How much space should each rafter have from each other, I've heard 12" and 24"?

2. Should the rafters be toe nailed to the beams or should I use metal braces for stronger support?

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
What are you building the rafters from? If it's PT, then they will undoubtedly twist and warp all over the place unless you tie them together. I've seen them on all centers from 12" to 16" to 24". it's all in the look you want. Toe nailing should be fine. The only load they will bear is their own weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts