DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Same problem.
Attaching a brace to flimsy wood walls is asking for trouble. The walls aren't designed for a side load like what you are asking it to carry.

It might be possible to install some additional wall material stiff enough to attach the brace to, but I am not an Engineer.

Reactions: Yodaman

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If the wood wall isn't strong enough, how about if my braces are longer and run to the concrete foundation. Any thoughts on this option?

Thanks

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,542 Posts
Re-reading my post from a couple years ago #2 and #11, sounds like you have come full circle.

Your instincts are telling you that this is just adding some support so total load bearing construction is not required. But building this without engineering assist requires you to do just that.
A engineer will do the needed load calculations and devise plan that may be much less costly than your own.

In short, $ spent for engineering assist may more than pay for itself in mat'l and labor costs. Also you will get a concise plan to follow that meets every ones requirements.

·
Usually Confused
6,538 Posts
The 4' versus 8' discussion can be solved by a visit to your building department. Sonotubes might not only be a good idea, they might be required by code.

I support the idea of contacting an engineer, especially since you can't conclusively establish the deck was built to code in the first place. An engineer will not only provide advice on the design but also attachment methods. It shouldn't cost that much. I would think that running diagonal braces to the foundation will raise the same questions are running to the wall. Yes it is stronger but you would be introducing a load it was intended for.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts