DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have tree roots that get in our sewage line and it's a major expense to replace the line so we haven't. I'm grateful for the advice I received here in 2012 but I can't afford it. Before our sewage line exits the house there is a short black piece of pipe that connects together the inside sewage line and the outgoing line using Fernco couplings. When I want to add RootX treatment I temporarily remove the black piece of pipe and put the RootX in. Every time I put it back together it leaks. I tighten it gradually until it stops.

I've reached the point where I need more torque for the hose clamps on the couplings. The problem is I'm using much more than advised now and it's gotten to the point where I'm distorting the clamps. I put some red arrows showing the problem area. I have three clamps there, one on each end and one in the middle.

I think at the very least I need to replace those clamps and use high torque hose clamps, that way I can tighten that area without bending the clamps.

Any ideas for heavy duty clamps or another way to solve this (short of replacing the piping)? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Not even seeing the hubless in that picture.
Looks like your trying to use way to short a coupling.
That whole pipe looks crooked so a short ones not going to work.
Just can not imagine why your not just dumping it down the toilet instead of messing with that pipe, it all going to end up in the same place.
Why are you not just digging out the old pipe yourself and replacing it instead of going through all this?
PVC pipe is cheap.

Reactions: Deck

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,462 Posts
On that old cast.... all of it varies alot by maker..... get some accurate measurements and go to Ferncoes site.... they will either have it in stock or make it.... 10 day delivery as I recall....

But Joe and others have the best solutions.......

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Given the age of the plumbing, I would seriously look at your long-term goals for the house. Compare cost of selling soon vs. budgeting for a repipe and possibly bathroom renovations prior to a sale down the road. The pipes won't last if they're starting to fall apart, and if they're that old I'd be concerned about the age of the bathrooms.

In Westchester that can be... pricey, depending to some extent on what town you're in. The decision to keep and update vs. sell is also going to depend a lot on square footage and neighborhood--a potentially 1.1M house vs. a 400K house, for example.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,661 Posts
Lube your rack and pinion. Just a general tip regarding hose clamps. They function like a rack and pinion. The more they are tightened and loosened the meshing metal burs and binds. The result is less tightening pressure and all your torque is fighting the binding mechanism. Lube it with what ever is handy, like plumbers teflon past. You will be surprised how much better the clamp tightens with less torque.

sometimes wetting the surfaces with that same teflon past will stop a pesky fernco leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts