DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new Grohe spout the other day and I'm getting ready to install it. It has a female NPT fitting on one end and it requires very precise positioning (within 1/16"?) and the male fitting needs to be behind the cbu. I haven't even installed cbu yet in this area nor chosen my tile, so I don't know how long to make the spout pipe.

My question is: can I just sweat on another female npt fitting on the copper in the wall, then just make a smaller intermediate pipe with two male ends (basically a long pipe nipple)? I'm just thinking that way, I can cut the intermediate copper pipe/nipple & screw it in after the cbu and tile is done.

Here's what I'm thinking (disclaimer: I'm not an artist):

Does this make sense to do?

Here's pictures of the tub spout:

https://imgur.com/a/Ou43OW6

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,479 Posts
Assuming the "escuchion" face of the tub spout is big enough to cover a hole for a copper male or female sweat fitting, and your supply set back is back far enough, I don't see why not.

I would not try an actual threaded nipple, but rather a short pipe with a couple of male fittings, as it would be tough to find a precise size nipple.

Seems that will you give you two makeup fittings, that would allow you additional "slack" to get the tub spout oriented correctly, and allow you to test the makeup before final setting.

·
Legend in my own Mind
27 Posts

When I do a bath, I just sweat on the tube to the mixer a bit long so after the backer and tile are up and grouted we can make the measurement and sweat on the nipple. Then you can put on three(not sure where that amount was arrived at but my dad swore by three wraps, no more, no less on the male threads) wraps of teflon tape and spin on the spout. If it is out too far you didnt cut the spout short enough and will have to unsweat the nipple and cut it off a bit and resweat.

I find that is I thread the nipple into the spout and put it onto the stub out, then measure the distance from spout to wall and cut that much off the stub out I can get it just about every time on the first try.

Good luck with you project and let us know how you make out.

On a side note, don't even try with one of those white plastic things. Throw it away and don't waste your time.

On second look at your diagram, it looks like you might need to make up a two nipple ended tube. I doubt you will be able to get the "just right" nipple for you particular distance. I'd make up one end of the tube with nipple, teflon tape it, you know, with three wraps, and then thread it into the mixer, Then you can do the nipple into the spout and measure to get you custom cut length, and sweat on the second nipple.

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Before the tile boards up I solder a pipe adapter onto a 6" piece of copper pipe and install it on the elbow and leave it sticking out of the wall, Install tile board and tile.
Once that's done I use a socket and an extention to screw another pipe adaptor into the spout (no need to tape it, because it's coming back out anyway.
Slip the spout in place and measure the distance from the wall to the spout, that's the amount that needs to be cut off.
Remove the spout and the pipe adaptor inside the spout and solder it onto the copper pipe, (after cutting the pipe of course) now the adaptor can be taped.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/NIBCO-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-Copper-Threaded-Adapter-Fitting/3505126

1 - 4 of 4 Posts