DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some help. I bought a house about 1 year ago and the basement was already framed up. I am looking at finishing the rest of it. But when doing some research I realized that whoever did the framing did not put a gap between the concrete and the studs. Most of the studs are right against the concrete wall. I am now worried about mold issues. I have tried to think about my options, could I use drylok paint and paint the concrete and studs? Should I use a certain type of insulation? I really would like to avoid having to pull all of the walls out an inch.
Also, this house was built in Southern Illinois near St. Louis back in 2007.

·
Naildriver
18,593 Posts
Welcome to the forums. If you were to have mold issues, you would see it now. While it is optimal to leave an air gap, I would not consider moving the framing, nor would I try to "waterproof" anything from the inside. Are you experiencing moisture problems presently? Probably the best insulation for your situation would be Rockwool Comfort Batts. They fit snugly in a 16" oc framing, it is waterproof, vermin proof, mold proof, fireproof and needs no vapor barrier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t seen any moisture at all down there. Thank you for your reply and for the suggestion on the insulation. I’ll look into that for sure.

·
retired framer
63,354 Posts
I haven’t seen any moisture at all down there. Thank you for your reply and for the suggestion on the insulation. I’ll look into that for sure.
Are you seeing water stains on the wood against the wall. Do you know about fire stopping the top of the walls?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you seeing water stains on the wood against the wall. Do you know about fire stopping the top of the walls?
I don’t see any water stains or anything. Seems as if everything is completely dry. I have looked into fire blocking some. I think I have a decent understanding of it. But if you have any tips I would gladly take some.

·
retired framer
63,354 Posts
I don’t see any water stains or anything. Seems as if everything is completely dry. I have looked into fire blocking some. I think I have a decent understanding of it. But if you have any tips I would gladly take some.
We figure out how far the top plate will be from the sill on top of a concrete wall and put the fire stop up first
And then plumb down the corners to mark where the bottom plates go.
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Parallel Font

1 - 6 of 6 Posts