DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to use a novastrip 1026 to strip up the asbestos tile in my basement. It requires a 220v single volt 50amp breaker. the place I'm going to rent it from gives you 50 feet of 6 gauge cable to power it, but it needs to be wired directly into the breaker.

I looked up and square D does sell a QO breaker that works, I guess my concern is that I'm told it's 4 wires which confuses me since it's only single phase. Are 2 of the legs still hot? if so wouldn't they be out of phase?

I'm comfortable and have done electrical work in the house before, mainly working with 12 gauge rewiring of outlets so I just need a bit of information to understand what I don't know.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So than what's the difference between single phase and double phase? I thought a double wide breaker was on 2 different phases and therefore double phase.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MLMIB said:
So than what's the difference between single phase and double phase? I thought a double wide breaker was on 2 different phases and therefore double phase.
Kinda it's 2 legs originating from the same phase it's called a split phase.

·
Licensed electrician
13,381 Posts
Do you have the proper equipment and training to remove and contain the asbestos fibers? Asbestos fibers in the air are not a good thing to be breathing in or spreading all over the house.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim Port said:
Do you have the proper equipment and training to remove and contain the asbestos fibers? Asbestos fibers in the air are not a good thing to be breathing in or spreading all over the house.
The nova strip takes up the tiles in a non-destructive form, so there shouldn't be release of asbestos fibers. I'll still wear a tyvek suit and tape everything off, wear a respirator etc. disposal of the tile should be easy, I guess I'll need to look into the mastic.

I know it's a bit odd for a DIY, but the costs I've seen to have it done are 6k for a pro vs 500 doin it myself. Some local handyman said he can do it for 1500 but I need to examine his method.

Thanks for the concern :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Trust me, what you want to do is seriously illegal, especially in Maryland. Bite the bullet and hire a licensed professional.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I thought asbestos was a carcinogen and dangerous? How can you live in any house that contains it? Is there no law requiring the removal of this stuff? I am asking. I have never heard of anyone having asbestos present and not be in the process of removing it. I would be more concerned with this asbestos than any other project.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
Chill out crowd. Asbestos is a carcinogen, but this forum has been having the discussion about how hazardous it is for years, check some of the threads. Regardless, the EPA regulates asbestos removal, and so far as I know (you can read the EPA website), homeowners are free to remove asbestos from their own home, there is no requirement that it be done by a professional. The EPA has extensive information on their website about procedures for testing and abating asbestos, specifically geared to the homeowner who wants to do it themselves. You think they would include all this information if it were illegal? And as for the paranoia about living in a house with asbestos, the vast majority of houses in the United States built more than ten years ago have asbestos in them, whether it be in insulation, wallboard, tiles, siding, or roofing. If it isn't friable, it isn't a problem.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Some places require permits and that you run some sort of air filtration system to remove the air from the home the whole time and I also read about neighbors having to be contacted about such procedures being performed and when.

You local and state rules will may go above and beyond what the EPA says they allow. Check local codes before doing anything.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Chill out crowd. Asbestos is a carcinogen, but this forum has been having the discussion about how hazardous it is for years, check some of the threads. Regardless, the EPA regulates asbestos removal, and so far as I know (you can read the EPA website), homeowners are free to remove asbestos from their own home, there is no requirement that it be done by a professional. The EPA has extensive information on their website about procedures for testing and abating asbestos, specifically geared to the homeowner who wants to do it themselves. You think they would include all this information if it were illegal? And as for the paranoia about living in a house with asbestos, the vast majority of houses in the United States built more than ten years ago have asbestos in them, whether it be in insulation, wallboard, tiles, siding, or roofing. If it isn't friable, it isn't a problem.
Vermiculite used as attic insulation for years and is still in attic all over the USA
·
· “W.R. Grace & Co. and seven of its current or former executives have ... Yesterday, on the steps of the county courthouse here, U.S. Attorney Bill Mercer ... to the tremolite asbestos fibers, which contaminate the vermiculite ore,” ...
http://www.seattlepi.com/national/article/W-R-Grace-indicted-in-Libby-asbestos-deaths-1165915.php

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I thought asbestos was a carcinogen and dangerous? How can you live in any house that contains it? Is there no law requiring the removal of this stuff? I am asking. I have never heard of anyone having asbestos present and not be in the process of removing it. I would be more concerned with this asbestos than any other project.

One day at a time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts