DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
Now that my garage is built, I need to build a concrete hump to help direct the water flow away from the open end of the garage (20 ft wide).
It is all on an angle as everything in western NC is.

The drive is asphalt and I need somwthing on the order of a speed bump to direct water flow that comes down the driveway to another area. Can you build a 2-3" high, ~ 6" wide concrete "dam" on top of the asphalt??

Any suggestions on how to tackle this would be apprecited.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Hello Folks,
Now that my garage is built, I need to build a concrete hump to help direct the water flow away from the open end of the garage (20 ft wide).
It is all on an angle as everything in western NC is.

The drive is asphalt and I need somwthing on the order of a speed bump to direct water flow that comes down the driveway to another area. Can you build a 2-3" high, ~ 6" wide concrete "dam" on top of the asphalt??

Any suggestions on how to tackle this would be apprecited.
I would have installed a linear grate in front of the doors leading to a drywell or directed it underground to a low point on the property.
You can still do it.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
I agree with Ron as well. You can't simply pour some concrete on top of oily asphalt & expect it to perform. You could remove some of the asphalt to get it keyed in, but at that point you might as well put the trench drain in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Look up YouTube videos discussing ways to install a channel drain. That's exactly what you need. It's the drains that have PVC/Metal grates on top. Not too terribly difficulty to install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts