DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help to find a right replacement for our old 1987 outsize wall hanged ZoneAire heat pump. Unfortunately, the motor stopped working and the whole unit needs to be out. I found 2 similar heat pumps Bard brand, but not sure which one will work:
http://www.bardhvac.com/products/ext...step-capacity/
http://www.bardhvac.com/products/ext...tep-capacity1/

Also, I'm attaching a wiring diagram for our broken heat pump and a new working thermostat that was install almost a year ago with a help on this forum.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What brands, other than Bard, also make exterior wall-mount heat-pumps? I'm trying to search but can't find the other options :sad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should be the specs for a 1,004 sq.ft. condo?

Is 2.5 Ton Bard Wall Hung 208/240V 9EER Air Conditioning Unit With 10kW Heat Strip Installed, W30A2-A10 (F) will be a good option?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
2.5 sounds like a lot - did the old unit cycle or run steady in extreme weather?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
During the cold months the old heat pump was taking breaks and we're using electric baseboards to supplement it. It was never warm enough just by using a heat pump. I took some pictures of the old unit. Also, around us in the other condos I noticed people are using EUBANK brand. But I can't get the specs.

Attachments

• 87.6 KB Views: 19

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
When the heatpump has it's own heat strips, they should automatically come on to supplement as required. You should never have to use the baseboards.

In cooling mode in the most extreme weather, did it need to run continuously?

Sizing a heatpump is a balancing act - smaller unit generally dehumidifies better in summer due to long cycles but needs more supplemental heat in the winter, increasing electric bills.

So you'll probably end up with 2.5 tons and it's a question of finding a match.

Can't help u with finding new unit as not familiar with wall hung models.

Reactions: Janebull

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the old heat pump doesn't have its own heat strips, all the air (warm/cold) is coming from 8 small screens on the walls close to the ceiling. We have 3 additional thermostats that only turn on the electric baseboards when it's extreme cold weather in the mountains. In the summer, fan can be on all the time and A/C was taking breaks while running. So far, I have 2 manufactures in mind - Bard and Eubank, wish someone can help me to get the right unit. Thank you!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Heatpumps are sized by cooling capacity. If the heating requirements are greater than that size, electrical backup heat strips are used as supplemental heat (let's forget about dual fuel setups for this situation). Your current unit may not have backup strips installed, hence the need for baseboard heat to supplement it. Either way, the cost of the electric strip heat backup is the same.

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
no aux heat in existing unit - in that case your heatpump's circuit was probably not sized for electric backup so wire size/breaker will have to be checked.

i do recommend backup heat for defrost cycles and supplementation.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Tell us a little bit more about your condo. Location, lay out etc..I am assuming that you have a supply duct boxed in across the ceiling. You might be able to route refrigerant line sets through the duct and install a multi head mini split heat pump. Much more efficient than the Bard or similar unit. Quieter too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our condo was built in 1987 in Lake Harmony, PA, it's a 2brm 2bathroom, 1,004 sq.ft. with a small front and a bigger back (facing the lake) balconies. We're using it as our vacation house all year around, mostly on weekends. The current unit is installed on the back balcony and was working fine for over 30 years. I don't think we're ready to renovate the condo and install the mini split heat pump, most likely just to replace the old ZoneAire with Bard or Eubank. Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking on a wiring diagram and it has "Emergency Heat Relay". I want to make it right. Does it mean that the new unit has to have aux heat and a different thermostat to address it?

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Would your HOA let you build a small mechanical room where the existing unit is to house an air handler? If so, I would install a split system and connect it to the existing penetrations. Quieter, more efficient, easy to maintain, hides the likely stucco damage and you probably wouldn't need to modify anything inside. You do lose balcony space though.

https://www.amazon.com/14-Seer-Goodman-sistema-gsz140241-aruf25b14/dp/B00WNY43WC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=32G0IK0B9QBJR&dchild=1&keywords=heat+pump+with+air+handler&qid=1596669667&sprefix=heat+pump+with+air+,aps,274&sr=8-4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts