DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all,

Looking to design and build a cover for pool equipment. Here are the spec's.

Cover dimensions = 13' L [from left to right] x 4' ft W [from wall outward]. The equip pad is 12'x 3' 6"...so the dimensions above considers overhang. The main goal to keep the sun off and the majority of direct rain.

I have to be able to remove the top of the cartridge system [3.5ft tall] and take out the cartridges [3.5 ft/2 + 3 ft] = 4' 3". I am 6' 3", so I was thinking attach to the wall at 6'6", then a 2" slope over 4' to end at 6'4".

The wall is stucco/2 stories high and it's not necessary it be water tight at the wall where the cover would attach; meaning water can leak down the stucco wall. If fact, that would help the foundation anyway.

this whole area is contained by fencing w a river rock all over the ground, except for the concrete equip pad.

Pls let me know what you think and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and feedback,
tstex

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Do you want it to be hinged or just removable to access the equipment?

You could make something that is fairly lightweight and create some pitch to it. Probably going to need some posts strategically on the front to support the nosing and make it is able to be fastened to the posts for blow off security. Given the width, two sections would probably be more easily handled.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW,

Very good observations and points.

I was thinking something that had a hinge originally, but bc of the height of the Cartridge system, the roof would have to go upward and attach to the stucco wall...given the height of the back side of the proposed over [6'6"], I would need a step ladder to attach it to wall. Therefore, I was going w a fixed design and make it tall enough to walk under.

Yes, I am going to need supports at both ends and in the center of the low side. And as you stated, any strong winds, there needs to be ample support to stabilize the top cover and keep it on from being flipped upward by the wind.

So, w that being said, what do you think? Thank you

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
I think multiple removable panels with a ledger type attachment at the wall and some post across the front should to. Make them of a manageable size so that you can single-handedly remove and replace them.

Don't need to be anything exotic and I would cover them in a metal roofing panel personally because I have that material laying around, but you could cover them in anything you like. Metal will be far lighter than if you put shingles on them and stay cooler as well.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW,

Thanks again.

I believe the design is going to be fixed, but I will do everything w screws so if I need to remove them, I can.

The basic design will be:
* 13ft ledger board on the wall at 6'6"
* 3 treated 4x4's [one at each end, one in the middle
* 2 6'6" 2 x4's on the back slope, where they meet in the middle, thus creating (2) 6'6" panels
* use Suntuf's polybicarbonate panels on the top. they come in 8' x 26", so I can cut in halves and this is a perfect length for my top of 4ft

here's a link to the panels: I'll go w the solar gray to keep 99% of UV off equipment

http://www.palramamericas.com/Products/Corrugated-Sheets/SUNTUF/

Let me know what you think? thanks, tstex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.