DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are pictures of my back steps/wall.
other them just tearing them down and remaking them, the last 2 years of winter ice storms and neglecting to fix them last year have caused them to crumble a little more.

ive never done cement work but im competent in knowing i can do the if i had some good instructions and recommended tools to complete the job but money is tight right now and with that said, can anyone recommend me a cheap and effective way on how to repair this damage.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,231 Posts
I believe that I see a block stacked wall, with a concrete veneer applied.

You need to investigate further, and if so it needs to be rebuilt from the base up, to be structurally sound.

If you just try to patch it as is, it will just keep deteriorating, and you will be doing this again in a few years.

Sorry ,but a cheap fix is not in the advisable realm. And not easy to be more accurate without actually being there.

You might find an old retired mason in your local senior citizens center that would be able to advise you better. They might even be able to help you with directions as many old folks are very willing to pass on their knowledge to anyone willing to learn.

Your wall looks to be failing from water penetration, age, and poor foundation work, but as I said it is impossible to be sure unless I actually can see it, and it's surrounding area.

ED

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Those two words "cheap and effective" should never be used in the same sentence, as there is no way either will work.
Actually, if the individual is willing to DIY, I would say it could be done pretty cheap and effectively. Concrete block are generally les than $2.00 a piece, mortar's cheap, and together, they can last for decades if done correctly.

OP, take a few steps back and post a couple pictures of the bigger area when you have a chance. From the picture's you've offered so far, I'd plan on taking a sledge hammer to what you have now, as they appear to be "rotten". Patching over them will be very temporary IMO.......

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Actually, if the individual is willing to DIY, I would say it could be done pretty cheap and effectively. Concrete block are generally les than $2.00 a piece, mortar's cheap, and together, they can last for decades if done correctly.

OP, take a few steps back and post a couple pictures of the bigger area when you have a chance. From the picture's you've offered so far, I'd plan on taking a sledge hammer to what you have now, as they appear to be "rotten". Patching over them will be very temporary IMO.......

Sounded to me like he wanted to patch what he has, of course your right ,complete demo and start from scratch is the answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts