DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a fairly new constructed home, 2 stories. The main bedroom is located on the bottom floor. There are 2 entries to the bedroom which are equipped with wall switches. The problem is, one of the switches does not control the overhead light/fan. It controls an outlet. I currently have a lamp for that switch. I would like to be able to control the overhead light with either switch so I can enter through one door, and if I exit the other, I can then turn off the light. Any suggestions?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
You are going to need a tester to determine which switch sends the power to the outlet.

That is the place where you will need to fish a new switch leg from the ceiling to that box.

An electrician will be along shortly----Mike----

·
Super Moderator
22,435 Posts
You need to fish a 3 wire cable from the existing switch to the new switch.
This is simple once you get the wire to the new switch.
I am going to skip ground wires in the description. Connect all of them together and to the switch if it has a ground screw.

Remove the two wires from the existing switch. Leave everything else alone. The wires could be both black or black and white. Might even be black and red. It doesn't matter.
Connect one wire to the common screw of your new three way switch.
Connect the other wire to the black wire to your new switch.
Connect the red and white wires to the remaining two traveller screws of the new switch.

At new switch connect the black to the common screw.
Connect the red and white wires to the remaining two traveller screws of the new switch.

Text Diagram Line Parallel Design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I guess the real question is how hard is it to fish the wires to the existing switches? Any tricks or tips? I can easily access the space under the house. I'm just not sure what blockages I would encounter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts