DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 240v plug installed in my garage. I do not have a panel in my garage. I only have a box on the outside away from my specific garage, it’s a trio garage. Would this be possible or am I out of luck?
Road surface Asphalt Gas Tar Concrete
Theoutlet is for a welder. An Everlast powertig 255ext.

·
Naildriver
14,906 Posts
That is a 120 volt service with two breakers, possibly for receptacles and lighting. You do not have a 240 volt circuit.

Reactions: phillipd

·
Registered
Electrical apprentice
238 Posts
Turn of the supply if you can, remove the cover and take a picture.
Does Square D make the quad breakers like Seimans does? With 2 tandems tied together and the middle two tied together so you can use them for 240v? The panel says 70A max but with a 3/4” looking conduit I’m thinking there’s likely 12/3 feeding it?

·
Licenced Electrician
2,241 Posts
Does Square D make the quad breakers like Seimans does? With 2 tandems tied together and the middle two tied together so you can use them for 240v? The panel says 70A max but with a 3/4” looking conduit I’m thinking there’s likely 12/3 feeding it?
That's likely out going circuits going underground, incoming likely come through the back. That's why we need the cover off to start with.

·
Super Moderator
15,827 Posts
There is a photocell on the panel, probably for site lighting.

·
Registered
697 Posts
That's not your main panel from which you would run a 240v circuit from. It all depends where your main panel is, if it has capacity, if it's accessible, and able to run a new circuit from there to the place you want. There's no way to tell if it's possible or not.

·
Deleted Member
748 Posts
What does that panel control ? Is this your own home, or a condo ?

If you can do without it, then you need to see the conductor size feeding it.
The Welder requires a 40A breaker, on #10awg min

·
Ret. Elec. Contractor
280 Posts
That's not your main panel from which you would run a 240v circuit from. It all depends where your main panel is, if it has capacity, if it's accessible, and able to run a new circuit from there to the place you want. There's no way to tell if it's possible or not.
Is the garage attached or detached from the building where the main panel is?
If it's detached only 1 feed is allowed unless your Code is the 2020NEC

·
Licenced Electrician
2,241 Posts
When I see 2x 2pole square D breakers I assume they are fed with 240V. It would be a rare occurrence that they are not. How often do you see a panel fed with 120V?

And the fact that there would be no real point to putting breakers in that were the same size as the supply leads me to think the supply might be bigger.

·
Registered
697 Posts
When I see 2x 2pole square D breakers I assume they are fed with 240V. It would be a rare occurrence that they are not. How often do you see a panel fed with 120V?

And the fact that there would be no real point to putting breakers in that were the same size as the supply leads me to think the supply might be bigger.
as someone else pointed out there’s a photocell on the box and a line leading underground which would lead one to believe it’s feeding some kind of outdoor lights, on 2 - 120v circuits. Why in the world would someone run 220v line just to split it into two 120v lines to run some outdoor lights? If it was a hot tub and required a 220v breaker then yes, but in this case there’s no reason to put a 220v breaker in the main panel just to split it for some outdoor lights. Regardless there not going to be enough power in that box to run a 30-50amp welding machine.

·
Licenced Electrician
2,241 Posts
OK, but I didn't think you could run 240 off single pole breakers. AFAIK double pole breakers are (required to be?) tied together, and these are clearly not.
Look, we can guess here all day. We don't even know if that little subpanel was originally intended for outdoor lights. The breakers look newer than the panel itself. Maybe it was originally intended for a hot tub. As it is, it would be strange for someone to run from a main panel and then install another panel for simple yard lighting. If we get the cover off we can definitively answer the question as to whether there is sufficient power there to work with.

·
Licenced Electrician
2,241 Posts
as someone else pointed out there’s a photocell on the box and a line leading underground which would lead one to believe it’s feeding some kind of outdoor lights, on 2 - 120v circuits. Why in the world would someone run 220v line just to split it into two 120v lines to run some outdoor lights? If it was a hot tub and required a 220v breaker then yes, but in this case there’s no reason to put a 220v breaker in the main panel just to split it for some outdoor lights. Regardless there not going to be enough power in that box to run a 30-50amp welding machine.
There's no reason for this panel to be there period for some outdoor lights. I prefer to investigate rather than guess for the sake of removing a single screw.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I need a 240v plug installed in my garage. I do not have a panel in my garage. I only have a box on the outside away from my specific garage, it’s a trio garage. Would this be possible or am I out of luck? View attachment 673453 Theoutlet is for a welder. An Everlast powertig 255ext.
Go to your main panel and see if there is a 240 or 120 breaker controlling that sub-panel. If you have a 240 breaker, you then want to be concerned about the wire size, if it will take the load of the welder.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts