DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of any governing body (city, county, municipality, principality, etc.) which chooses to NOT adopt the NEC as the standard for proper (or legal) electrical installations? Is there any other standard in the U.S. similar to that of the NEC and authored by some entity other than the NFPA?

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Is anyone aware of any governing body (city, county, municipality, principality, etc.) which chooses to NOT adopt the NEC as the standard for proper (or legal) electrical installations? Is there any other standard in the U.S. similar to that of the NEC and authored by some entity other than the NFPA?
New Jersey adopts the NEC and the IRC.

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
I really don't know what I'm talking about, but aren't some municipalities stricter than the NEC.

I grew up in Chicago and understood they require conduit that is not required in most places.

My father helped us rewire a cabin in Oklahoma. He did it to Chicago standards. Later when we had an electrician install 220 he was amazed by the work.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really don't know what I'm talking about, but aren't some municipalities stricter than the NEC.

I grew up in Chicago and understood they require conduit that is not required in most places.

My father helped us rewire a cabin in Oklahoma. He did it to Chicago standards. Later when we had an electrician install 220 he was amazed by the work.
Yeah...those Okie electricians are easily amazed. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts