DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in North Carolina,
There is a beam that was replaced under my house because it was rotted. But the people that did the repairs knocked out the old masonry pier that use to join the two beams. They installed a Akron adjustable jack post in its place.
I thought that Code says you can't install that type of support under a load baring beam? Is that correct?

By Code does this need to have a masonry pier supporting the beams?

I've only seen those type of supports under drop girders when people are trying to reduce sag in the floors.

·
11,730 Posts
--------------------------Welcome to the forums!--------

Yes, it is wrong, as is the attachment to the column and the top steel plate missing and the off-set position under the beam joint and the positive top post tie to both beams and the 2x6 ledger is too big weakening the floor joists- should have been a 2x2 per code. I'll look that up for you unless someone beats me to it...

Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary,
That's what I thought, thanks! If you find the code about the pier and the ledger please let me know!

Thanks,

·
11,730 Posts
It MAY be allowed, or pipes may be filled with concrete, check with local AHJ. The beam tie, short header beam filler, and 2x6 ledger are definitely wrong.

Gary

·
Registered
766 Posts
Was the brick pad pre-existing and the just knocked off the top few courses? Not sure why else they would be so far off center on the beam joint..

How were the floor joists attached to the old beam..

Anything structural requires permits around here.. does your area not require one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the pad you see is the remainder of the old pier.
The joist were basically connected the same way to the old beam. This is an old house built in 1925 so no joist hangers. I'm not aware of having to get a permit to do this type of stuff in NC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts