DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just installed a Navien NPE 180-A tankless water heater. It is installed outside our house between our two bathrooms. When we use hot water we can hear it starting up everytime. In researching I found that the Rinnai RUR98 is well-rated and is very quiet. Would we find it noticeably more quiet if we replaced our Navien with this one? Otherwise are there any specific benefits of the Navien over the Rinnai?

Thank you.

Zack

·
Naildriver
10,829 Posts
Zack, welcome to the forums! I can't comment on the loudness of either of the two water heaters you list. I just installed a Rinnai R75i indoors, and it is almost noisless, and our bedroom is almost directly above it. They do make similar units (RL 75e) for external applications.

I am not sure how it it mounted, but installing snubber rings between the unit and the exterior siding may help cut down on vibration transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Navien water heaters are often quiet and make a lil bit of noise. Howver, if yours is truly as noisy as you describe it to be, there might be a problem.

Here are some things to consider:

Accumulation of Sediment & Mineral Deposits
Restricted Water Flow
Water Pressure Fluctuations
Leaks & Condensation
Water Source
Water Hammer
Heating Element

Call in your plumber or check the manual that comes with Navien tankless water heaters

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
My mother has a Navien. You can definitely hear it when its running, but I don't think anybody has been bothered by it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts