DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad recently gave me his natural gas grill. My house is all electric, so I would like to covert the grill to run on LP. Can I just go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a hose and regulator for LP and put it on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

·
Experienced
2,979 Posts
The short answer is yes, first I would look online at the manufacturers web site, many will sell the conversion kit specific to your make and model. The difference is the size of the orfice, it needs to be the correct size for the BTU output of your BBQ, and I know brand "L" does sell the kits for the models they sell at least.

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No.

LP Gas runs at a considerably higher PSI, so the orifice will be smaller.
I thought the regulator was to bring down the pressure from the propane tank to the grill. Is it possible to also control the pressure by not opening the valve on the tank all the way?

The short answer is yes, first I would look online at the manufacturers web site, many will sell the conversion kit specific to your make and model. The difference is the size of the orfice, it needs to be the correct size for the BTU output of your BBQ, and I know brand "L" does sell the kits for the models they sell at least.

Mark
I have asked the manufactuer (Ducane) if they sell a kit, and they said no. Also the grill is like 10-15 yrs old.
How do I know how much BTU I need?

·
Experienced
2,979 Posts
NO, you cannot regulate pressure using a valve, you MUST use a regulator, the orfice is located down stream of the regulator.

Look at Ducanes web site and see if you can match your up (close to) whats available today, look at the btu rating, also, see if they have replacement burners for your, they are also rated in BTU output.

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NO, you cannot regulate pressure using a valve, you MUST use a regulator, the orfice is located down stream of the regulator.

Look at Ducanes web site and see if you can match your up (close to) whats available today, look at the btu rating, also, see if they have replacement burners for your, they are also rated in BTU output.

Mark

k, thanks for the help.

·
uva uvam vivendo variafit
645 Posts
From what I am seeing, the conversion kits run about $50. Does that sound right? My grill gave out and I bought a Weber charcoal grill for now. I would like to look around for a good buy on a Weber NG grill, but I want the ability to switch to propane without spending gobs and gobs.

·
DIY Hack
1,306 Posts
I had a grill at my old house ( Charbroil I think it was) and all i had to do to convert it to NG was remove the orifice altogether. Before you buy a new grill, take a look at the online manual to see if what's involved to change it over

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You should be able to remove the orifice and take it to a grill parts place for a replacement to the gas you're planning to use. If you can't find it, you can drill out the orifice to the diameter needed.
I think this was discussed in the past on this forum with the drill bit diameter needed.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
You should be able to remove the orifice and take it to a grill parts place for a replacement to the gas you're planning to use. If you can't find it, you can drill out the orifice to the diameter needed.
I think this was discussed in the past on this forum with the drill bit diameter needed.
I used silver solder to close up the natural gas orifices and then drilled them out to the correct LP BTU rating. Here is sizing chart:

http://www.grillparts.com/howto/btu_guide.htm

A full service propane dealer can do this if you are not comfortable with it. You will also need a regulator and hose.

For information, the reason you need different (smaller) orifices is that propane even after regulation is a higher pressure than natural gas.

Propane (LP) is 11" WC (11 inches water column) , about 1/2 PSI

Natural gas runs at about 5-7" WC , about 1/4 PSI (I have rounded off all numbers).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.