DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to connect a NG BBQ I just bought. My house already has the gas line for it.

However, when I try to connect the gas line from the BBQ, it doesn't quite fit in. It's a close fit but I don't know what it won't "snap" in.

Please see the pics below:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Probably a different generation of fitting on the pipe then you have on the grill. Just go ahead and buy a new fitting to put on the end of the pipe and you'll be all set. Just remember you don't use Teflon tape on gas fittings!

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Probably a different generation of fitting on the pipe then you have on the grill. Just go ahead and buy a new fitting to put on the end of the pipe and you'll be all set. Just remember you don't use Teflon tape on gas fittings!
The Yellow tape is for gas, which will be fine. Just easier to get a small tube of Gas safe Pipe Dope to help lubricate the threads, which is really all that it does.

You turn the fitting half to 3/4 counter-clockwise and then when you feel it seat, then just turn the fitting until snug and tighten at least 3/4 of a turn, which should be fine.

Then soap the fitting, turn on the gas to check for bubbles. No bubbles, it is a go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I figured it might be something like that. I was hoping I was just missing something obvious.

Any idea where I can find gas fitting pipes for retail purchase? I've looked around and most places don't seem to carry them (even a few of the appliance repair places I called around to.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Thanks. I figured it might be something like that. I was hoping I was just missing something obvious.

Any idea where I can find gas fitting pipes for retail purchase? I've looked around and most places don't seem to carry them (even a few of the appliance repair places I called around to.
Any big box store in the plumbing aisle. Cheaper than the local store that sells grills and firepits or Propne shop.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the help.
I went to Home Depot and they said they don't sell that but they likely just didn't know what they were talking about.
That is typical with them. The fittings are supposed to be stocked in Seasonal where all of the grill stuff is. After the season, they put them in the Plumbing area.

Right here on the page. http://www.homedepot.com/s/natural%20gas%20quick%20connect?NCNI-5

Search on Amazon with all of the different disconnects. Weber has different type of connects for the grills they sell. Check with your NG supplier. They may have them on the trucks and may drop one off for you. Also local plumbers should have them on their truck.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=natural+gas+quick+disconnect

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is typical with them. The fittings are supposed to be stocked in Seasonal where all of the grill stuff is. After the season, they put them in the Plumbing area.

Right here on the page. http://www.homedepot.com/s/natural%20gas%20quick%20connect?NCNI-5

Search on Amazon with all of the different disconnects. Weber has different type of connects for the grills they sell. Check with your NG supplier. They may have them on the trucks and may drop one off for you. Also local plumbers should have them on their truck.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=natural+gas+quick+disconnect
Awesome, thanks for the info!

I'll try all of those options and see where I can get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.