DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm considering the purchase of a natural gas BBQ.
I plan to install a 1/2" copper line from a plugged T fitting, through the wall and out to the location of the BBQ.
I'm a retired electrician, so have all the tools that I need.
My question is, am I allowed to do this work myself or does it need to be done by a licensed gas fitter?

·
6,520 Posts
That is something that your jurisdiction may or may not require a plumber to do. In most areas you can do it yourself and the code makes no requirement for a plumber to do it, but many cities require plumbers to do it. Permits are more than likely required, and a shut-off valve for the connection to the appliance is necessary.

1/2" flexible copper with flare fittings, right? Soldered copper isn't acceptable for gas installations under any circumstances. :no:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is something that your jurisdiction may or may not require a plumber to do. In most areas you can do it yourself and the code makes no requirement for a plumber to do it, but many cities require plumbers to do it. Permits are more than likely required, and a shut-off valve for the connection to the appliance is necessary.

1/2" flexible copper with flare fittings, right? Soldered copper isn't acceptable for gas installations under any circumstances. :no:
Thanks for your quick reply, KC!
Its my intention to place a gas valve with a flared connection at the existing T that is in the line (3/4") feeding the hot water heater heater.
The line would run through the 8" concrete block foundation to a point near the BBQ.
I'll install a second valve (flared) outside, with a 1/2" black iron nipple connected a quick release coupler!
The black iron nipple will be supported with a standard pipe stand-off!
I've searched both my municipal and provincial websites for informatrion on code requirements and both are very quiet on this subject!
I'm hoping that a Ontario plumber will be able to enlighten me, in this matter!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply, KC!
Its my intention to place a gas valve with a flared connection at the existing T that is in the line (3/4") feeding the hot water heater heater.
The line would run through the 8" concrete block foundation to a point near the BBQ.
Some jurisdictionts require a sleeve when piping gas through a block wall. Plastic pipe works for a sleeve, use a sealer around the pipe in the block and between the plastic pipe and the gas pipe. A gas valve at the source is a good idea, but you need a valve before the appliance also.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some jurisdictionts require a sleeve when piping gas through a block wall. Plastic pipe works for a sleeve, use a sealer around the pipe in the block and between the plastic pipe and the gas pipe. A gas valve at the source is a good idea, but you need a valve before the appliance also.
Would you believe that I met a gas fitter at a club that I belong to, yesterday and he said that I will require a sleeve also.
Wouldn't you know, after I did the install, this info came forth! I have no sleeve!
As I had drilled a 3/4" hole through the wall, I had 1/4" of space, so I made some wedges from some plastic that I had on hand, to center the pipe in the hole, then I caulked all around with silicon caulking!
The gas fitter that I met said that I should use a metal sleeve. I would argue that this would result in dissimilar metal electrolysis.
A plastic sleeve, as you have suggested, would be, to my mind a better solution.
Thanks for your reply!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts