DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, neighbour of mine gave me a real nice Nat Gas Firepit I was thinking of using it at the cottage (outside of course) Is there any way I can convert it to propane? I've heard you can convert propane to nat Gas, but not go the other way, is this true?

Thanks!!

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
You need different orifices for the burner and a different gas valve. Usually you get a different regulator spring and replace it in the existing gas valve and a set of orifices if they are available. Have to get them from the manufacturer of the pit and the brand of gas valve ie: Honeywell or White Rodgers or Robertshaw.

I don't do much Propane as the Propane dealers where I am have service people. Bar BQs and fireplaces etc usually get done by specialty stores who sell them where I am.

Check with the manufacturer of the pit or your Propane supplier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need different orifices for the burner and a different gas valve. Usually you get a different regulator spring and replace it in the existing gas valve and a set of orifices if they are available. Have to get them from the manufacturer of the pit and the brand of gas valve ie: Honeywell or White Rodgers or Robertshaw.

I don't do much Propane as the Propane dealers where I am have service people. Bar BQs and fireplaces etc usually get done by specialty stores who sell them where I am.

Check with the manufacturer of the pit or your Propane supplier.
Yuri... perhaps you come across (or seen the aftermath) of someone who's plumbed propane to their NG appliance. wiki says the energy per mole of propane is 2.5x that of NG... so if both gases behave as noble then you'd have 2.5x the heat. But propane is getting close to liquid, so it's not noble, which would make the discrepancy even worse....
Ever encountered propane feeding a NG appliance?

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
You get very big flames and the neighborhood gets to watch fireworks. Your immediate neighbors wouldn't be happy.... And for your house/cottage, it might not be left.

Propane isn't just more energy dense, but operates at a higher pressure then NG appliances.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
42,393 Posts
Yuri... perhaps you come across (or seen the aftermath) of someone who's plumbed propane to their NG appliance. wiki says the energy per mole of propane is 2.5x that of NG... so if both gases behave as noble then you'd have 2.5x the heat. But propane is getting close to liquid, so it's not noble, which would make the discrepancy even worse....
Noble gasses can be changed to a liquid state. Propane is stored as a liquid, but it is delivered to the appliance as a vapor.

What happens to an appliance that is set up for nat, but burning propane varies slightly with the appliance. Its not a controlled burn, and its burning very dirty. Can caue fires, or excess CO and harm people.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Nope. I don't like Propane anyway. Heavy and it settles near the floor (dangerous) and is hard to get rid of when that happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.