DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pictures show the paint on the ceiling and walls of my bathroom in a home I just bought. These are lathe and plaster walls. I just installed a fan for ventilation, but how do I now repair the enormous crack and all of the nasty paint? Someone told me to scrape all the paint off, but I'm not sure that is the best solution. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Looks like this home set vacant for more than a year with no climate control and the plaster expanded and the paint could not expand at the same rate.
Remove all loose paint apply a product like Peel Stop than apply a high quality veneer plaster product. Before you proceed make sure the existing plaster is sound and not failing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like this home set vacant for more than a year with no climate control and the plaster expanded and the paint could not expand at the same rate.
Remove all loose paint apply a product like Peel Stop than apply a high quality veneer plaster product. Before you proceed make sure the existing plaster is sound and not failing.
Thank you. Does the veneer plaster go under the new paint?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it would also get primed prior to applying the finish paint.
Okay so here are my steps...
1. Scrape loose paint
2. fill in cracks with veneer plaster
3. Sand
4. Apply the peel stopper to the edges of paint
5. Prime
6. Paint

Did I miss anything? Is there a way to stop that crack from getting worse?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IF the crack extends below the paint, you'd likely need to tape/mud over the crack.
Unfortunately the crack is in the lathe and plaster, running across the ceiling and down the wall.
Do you know much about lathe and plaster repairs? Half of the resources I find say to fill the crack with joint compound without tape, some say to use tape.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
No that is NOT a good product to use in a bath room over a Gypsum plaster.
You should use a GYPSUM product like a premixed plaster finish product.
Option # 1 would be USG Diamond veneer finish or Gold Bond Veneer finish.
Option # 2 Would be to use a Setting Compound.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No that is NOT a good product to use in a bath room over a Gypsum plaster.
You should use a GYPSUM product like a premixed plaster finish product.
Option # 1 would be USG Diamond veneer finish or Gold Bond Veneer finish.
Option # 2 Would be to use a Setting Compound.
I took your message into Home Depot, and they told me they do not sell any of those products. Would you mind helping me find something comparable that Home Depot sells? Its the only store I know of around here. Thanks so much!

·
retired painter
12,421 Posts
Durabond and EasySand are 2 different but similar products. I don't repair plaster often but when I do, I use Durabond - never had any complaints.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts