DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

name that weatherstripping?

2216 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Windows on Wash
Yet another how to seal a french door .... on same page!
Again these doors were hung wrong to begin with, was a real mess.
The house is 20 years old, the original installer moved the door hinges down on the jamb side, out of the mortise, and did not re mortise new hinge location.
This cased the doors where they meet in the middle to be sealed at top, closer to the jamb side could see daylight. They leaked everywhere.

I spent a couple hours re hanging, had to cut the top at an angle, reset strikers, shim hinges ...
And operates and seals good now.

Problem I am having, is the old weather stripping is wore out and needs replaced.
The older doors use a very typical style weather stripping, see photo.
But the older style doors used a thinner less wide version. Today standard is 3/4" x 3/4"
This is 1/2" x about 5/8".
Everybody has the 3/4" and some even have thicker. I spent 2 hours driving around town looking for it ... and I did try the 3/4" and doors will not close with it installed.
If I look on line to order the weather stripping, is there a name or model # to look for?
Anyone have a better idea how to seal it?


See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
All I figured out is, is called kerf weather stripping.
But seems to be no industry standard in sizing that I found.
I already know is at least 3 sizes, I found 2 sizes on the internet ... while most does not even list a size. And when they do list it, I do not know what side they measure.

Still unsure of best way to seal the center style on stationary door., the kerf weather stripping is ripped loose 3" from the bottom of door.
Thank you. is what I have been looking for, but my google skills once again failed me.
I appreciate you taking the time to give me the link.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.