DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on nailing down solid Bamboo on the second floor of my home. I have a "catwalk" hallway in my second floor that looks down on the first floor on both sides of the catwalk (see attached photo). This means that I do not have walls on this catwalk. If I had walls I could hide the 1/2" spacer gap required for this type of floor by installing baseboards on the wall but this catwalk does not have walls so I cant hide the spacer gap with baseboard. I would rather not have 1/2" spacer gaps left open on either side of of my catwalk hallway once installation is complete. I would also rather not completely redo the catwalk railing if possible. How should I proceed with installing the floor on this catwalk given the required 1/2" spacer gap?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, although Im not sure I completely follow how shoe molding (or quarter round) would work since the height of the flooring (1/2 in) Im installing would put the floor flush with the white catwalk sides. Could you help me understand?

As a side note Ill be installing my flooring on the entire upstairs not just on the catwalk.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I have considered that. My only concerns is that it is not the most aesthetically pleasing option and there might also be a slide height differential (~1/8 in) between the flooring and shoe plate (base of the railing).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts