DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 2x10 Ledger attached to a concrete wall. I have a double 2x10 joist that needs to connect to the ledger. I have a joist hanger for this but the installation requirements say to use 16d nails (which are typically 3 1/2" long) to connect to the ledger. How can I do that if the ledger is only 1 1/2" thick? Will the nail go into the concrete? Are there shorter nails?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,371 Posts
Forget the nails in the first place.

Get a box of PAN HEAD wood screws 1 inch long and the diameter of the holes in the hanger.

For that matter never use nails when building anything that is to support another structure.

SCREW IT TO IT.

This prevents nails from pulling out, and they will eventually, even the cement coated sinkers.

Get screws and affix it solid for a lifetime.

ED

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forget the nails in the first place.

Get a box of PAN HEAD wood screws 1 inch long and the diameter of the holes in the hanger.

For that matter never use nails when building anything that is to support another structure.

SCREW IT TO IT.

This prevents nails from pulling out, and they will eventually, even the cement coated sinkers.

Get screws and affix it solid for a lifetime.

ED
What would be the equivalent size screw for a 16d nail?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,371 Posts
Find that at your BOX store, RIGHT THERE ON THE NUTS/ BOLTS/ NAILS/ SCREWS, aisle.

They have charts placed conveniently, for customer use.

Me I just take the hanger, and try screws until I find the ones that I want, then buy a box, because a box is cheaper per screw than buying a few individual ones.

ED

·
retired framer
63,189 Posts
Find that at your BOX store, RIGHT THERE ON THE NUTS/ BOLTS/ NAILS/ SCREWS, aisle.

They have charts placed conveniently, for customer use.

Me I just take the hanger, and try screws until I find the ones that I want, then buy a box, because a box is cheaper per screw than buying a few individual ones.

ED
Screws are not approved in every location.
Hanger nails come the right diameter and are 1 1/2" long, they have an Identifier on the head so the inspector can see you have used the right nails. Best to ask an inspector for what screw can be used.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,371 Posts
Screws are not approved in every location.
Hanger nails come the right diameter and are 1 1/2" long, they have an Identifier on the head so the inspector can see you have used the right nails. Best to ask an inspector for what screw can be used.
True, Almost anything is accepted, only in established towns is an inspection needed, in the out of town locations the " sheepherders" get away with all kinds of questionable installations.

So asking your inspector for advice is a good idea.

Even better have a box of doughnuts, and a pot of coffee, waiting, and get the best buddy treatment from the inspector.

ED

·
Naildriver
18,490 Posts
Actually with joist hangers you use two different size nails/screws. 1 1/2" on the flat into the rim and 2 1/2" into the joist an an angle prescribed by the hanger design. Simpson Strongtie has approved hanger screws in their sections in the box stores. They all should be HDG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.