DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kellster
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing 2X3 framing in my basement. What size and type nail should I get for my pneumatic nailer???

Also

I am attaching risers on the back of the stairs. I think I am going to use 3/4 inch plywood. What size and type of nails should I get for that.

Thanks guys

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
I would use a 3" or 3-1/4" for the framing, 2-3/8" should be sufficient for 1"x risers.

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
Depends on the gun, wood type, etc. Try setting around 90 lbs. and adjust up or down if needed. Your gun may also have a depth adjustment on it for "fine tuning".

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just enough pressure to slighty sink the head of the nail. The pressure setting really depends on how much hose you have extended from the compressor.

For the stair risers, I would use deck screws and drill a pilot hole with a countersink first. However, I err toward screws over nails especially on something that might encounter slight movement like walking up and down the stairs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get rid of the framing nailer!!! Thats my opinion. Use at least 3 " galv. nails for framing. As for stairs.....glue it and screw it.....ALWAYS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts