DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be replacing rotted trim on the outside of my home with vinyl trim boards. I will be using 5/4 (1 inch thick) trim boards of varying widths. From what I've read the 18 gauge brad nailer is not the right tool. Would I be better off with a 15 gauge or 16 gauge finish nailer? Thanks

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Yes. A brad isn't quite enough to secure 5/4 material. And may I ask why 5/4?

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
Vinyl trim should be fastened with 15 gauge stainless steel fasteners.

It is prone to thermal expansion and 16 gauge or 18 gauge nails are easily worked by the movement.

Also, if you paint it darker than an off white, some companies won't warrant the product due to installation, same goes with the fasteners.

Decide what product you will use and follow their installation guidelines to the T.

Reactions: PWPanther10

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vinyl trim should be fastened with 15 gauge stainless steel fasteners.

It is prone to thermal expansion and 16 gauge or 18 gauge nails are easily worked by the movement.

Also, if you paint it darker than an off white, some companies won't warrant the product due to installation, same goes with the fasteners.

Decide what product you will use and follow their installation guidelines to the T.
I'm replacing white with white so no painting involved. I have a couple of different brands of vinyl available - Azek, Koma, a 3rd I can't recall off hand. Do recommend any in particular?

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
I'm replacing white with white so no painting involved. I have a couple of different brands of vinyl available - Azek, Koma, a 3rd I can't recall off hand. Do recommend any in particular?
I've worked primarily with Azek. Certainteed is another one.

Koma, X-board and Kleer are a few more, as well as Perma-Trim. I don't have much experience with these though.

I highly recommend using PVC cement on any connections. Azek has their own proprietary cement that should be used to uphold their warranty.

Azek maintains it's color well and they have a sealed factory edge available that will help prevent algae from growing in the pores. Any machined edges should be sanded down to about 150 or 180 to help seal the edges. This will help with dirt and algae in the machined edges.

Reactions: PWPanther10
1 - 7 of 7 Posts