DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife wanted to make a design on a wall using baseboards, we have got the design, but my question is how do i fill in the nail holes and gaps from the cuts? I tried to cut it as accurate as possible but im new to angle cutting lol, so there some gaps. I was thinking of using just caulking to cover it up? But then i read something about spackle. What is a good brand to use to cover up the nails and gaps? Thank you in advance

·
retired painter
13,139 Posts
Use painter's putty for the nail holes and caulking for all the joints.
Spackle could be used in place of painter's putty but it often requires 2 coats and/or sanding along with priming. Putty may stay in place better than spackling.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have used three things:

1. Joint Compound - The nice thing here is if you use the drying type compound you can "sand" with a wet sponge. The downside is it takes quite a few coats. You can use setting compound but then you'll have to sand...it takes less coats though.

2. Spackle - Here is a link to what I used:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Pla...nced-Exterior-Spackling-Paste-18741/303781000

It works extremely well. Generally fills holes in one coat...sometimes I would do two where just a slight dimple remained and dries quickly. Sands pretty easily and not visible once painted. Whiter color than the joint compound.

3. Caulk - I only use this in corners (inner and outer) and along the wall/baseboard transition. Make sure you leave a very clean radius as if you leave any globs the entire job will look sloppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.