DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First post here, so hopefully I'm in the right place.

Need some help identifying a shower valve stem. We're doing a light remodel of the bathroom and need to keep the tile intact. Haven't come across this design before, and the lack of a socket fitting has me a little concerned.

A couple pics:

Hoping somebody's seen this before or can point me to some magical resource. Thanks for any assistance and/or insight you might provide.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That's one fine camera and lens you have there---

I don't recognize that valve---I've never seen a knurled cover like that--How old is the unit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one fine camera and lens you have there---

I don't recognize that valve---I've never seen a knurled cover like that--How old is the unit?
Hey, thanks for the reply. The camera is just a small Canon p&s, but I've always been impressed with their lens' performance. Keep coming back to them for just that reason.

As for the valve unit, I unfortunately have no idea of its age. It was in the house when we bought it, though the bathroom has certainly been remodeled since the house was built in 1935. The knurled portion threw me as well.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
Now for the age old question : "What's on the back side of that thing?" :thumbsup:

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
A bit more info please: Is this a hot or cold water control stem, or is this maybe the diverter for the tub spout/shower head? I've not done "hundreds" of stem repairs, but close. I have never seen one of these either. I'm wondering if there is a removal tool which would slide over the knurled part, with two "ears", 180 degrees apart that fit into the little cut-out area's so you can turn this stem housing for removal/installation? Just my thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit more info please: Is this a hot or cold water control stem, or is this maybe the diverter for the tub spout/shower head? I've not done "hundreds" of stem repairs, but close. I have never seen one of these either. I'm wondering if there is a removal tool which would slide over the knurled part, with two "ears", 180 degrees apart that fit into the little cut-out area's so you can turn this stem housing for removal/installation? Just my thought.
This is the cold stem, and the hot is identical. Haven't looked at the diverter yet.

I'm wondering about the same tool you described. Those notches must exist for a reason, right? Then again, if that's the means of removal, the knurling seems unnecessary as those appear to be separate pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts