DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

My gf has this funky house. And behind this old retro furnace I look up and see this. I have no idea what it is. But seeing a recharger makes me think if this is an old igniter system. I did measure the volts on one of the battery it was reading 2 volts. (but it on the battery it said a 6 volt battery)

Does anyone know what I'm looking at here? I'm wondering because I would lie to remove it.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK.. The photos turned out weird. They all loaded upside down lol this contraption is on the ceiling. .. Except for the bottom 2 photos which is at eye level

·
Super Moderator
21,640 Posts
The bottom picture looks like a coil possibly used to magnetize screw drivers.
You have a 12 volt charger so they must have been charging 12 volt batteries. Maybe they had some 12 volt lighting for power outages?
I can't tell what the stuff is under the plywood on the right. Can you open that up and take a better picture.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,027 Posts
Was this at one time a commercial space?

Did someone have an office in there?

Some of that is old style phone company equipment, others are a charger for an alarm system.

It looks like it is not operable, so removal is probably a good idea.

ED

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you've hit it on the dot. There used to be a alarm system at the house. That would make sense. But what the heck is that thing the bottom 2 photos?

·
Electrical Contractor
156 Posts
I could be WAY out-to-lunch here, but I wonder of that thing in the bottom two (2) pictures is a humidity sensor?

It seems that the automotive style toggle switch and black push button might have something to do with "mystery" object.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,027 Posts
The mystery objet, appears to me to be an external ringer, like an old style DING-DONG doorbell, without the bell.

It seems to have wires under it, from the left, , and the switch and push button, are probably the way to arm and test the security system.

Of course this is all speculation, as it does not seem to be powered anymore, so GET RID OF IT.

ED

1 - 9 of 9 Posts