DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi gang...

This mess is hanging under the fireplace hearth. It is a passive flow inlet, pulling cool air off the floor and passing it inside the wall of the fireplace insert and venting it above the screen and doors. I assume it is there so you cannot see the dirt and dust bunnies that will collect there over time. The grill that goes over this is six screws so cleaning is no big issue. Any reason I should not leave it out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure from the picture, does it have air passage holes?
No holes. The material is attached at the top but not the bottom. It seems light enough to be pushed away as air flows inward, then to fall back when there is no flow. The grill in front of this stuff would keep rodents out.

I pulled it off; was installed with duct tape. The more I think it through, the more I tend to think it was someone's idea of "aesthetics" over functionality.

·
retired framer
53,752 Posts
No holes. The material is attached at the top but not the bottom. It seems light enough to be pushed away as air flows inward, then to fall back when there is no flow. The grill in front of this stuff would keep rodents out.

I pulled it off; was installed with duct tape. The more I think it through, the more I tend to think it was someone's idea of "aesthetics" over functionality.
That might be there to stop drafts from the chimney when the fireplace is not being used.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That might be there to stop drafts from the chimney when the fireplace is not being used.
"It is a passive flow inlet, pulling cool air off the floor and passing it inside the wall of the fireplace insert and venting it above the screen and doors." -
Does not connect to the chimney or outside. Just circulates from floor to waist height.

·
retired framer
53,752 Posts
"It is a passive flow inlet, pulling cool air off the floor and passing it inside the wall of the fireplace insert and venting it above the screen and doors." -
Does not connect to the chimney or outside. Just circulates from floor to waist height.
I tread :wink2: then it does not make sense to be there.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The airflow like that uses convection to take in cold air and heat it so comes out warmer above the firebox. Since warm air rises it creates a flow to heat the cooler air that's coming in from the floor of the room. It's Ashley quite an effective way of getting a little more heat out of a fireplace.

·
Registered
37,428 Posts
Wood burning fireplace?
That has to be one of the least efficient way to try and heat a home if there's no insert!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the solution was provided by a young fabric professional at JoAnn Fabrics.

Black ripstop nylon. Not an area that receives more than room temperature heat and there is a grill in front that would protect from the remote possibility of a random pop.

Total cost. $1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts