DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had an Ash Granite walkway installed a few weeks ago. There are 2 issues I wanted to show you.

1 -

Right after installation, we noticed this weird, unnatural-looking lines in the granite. They aren't recessed really. Maybe a tiny bit but basically flat/flush. Pretty uniform across most of the tiles.

The contractor said he's never seen this before and the stone supplier isn't sure either.

They both said it may weather way in a few more weeks. I'm not so sure about that.

Anyone know what this is and if there's a fix for it?

2 -

And secondly... the contractor didn't buy enough tiles for the job, so he had to go back to the stone supplier and get 2 more tiles, which are much darker. I complained and he went back to try to find a closer match and couldn't find the same as the original color. He says they will even out over time. Is this true? It's been a few weeks and it's getting slightly better but not a big difference yet.

Also, there are scratches on those 2 tiles. Is there a way to remove them?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
1. It's not that noticeable, but maybe a little buffing could help.
2. This is a bigger issue, as the 2 tiles are completely different colors.
Accepting this is up to you.
When I do a tile job, I get as many as 10% more tiles than I need, from the same pallet, same stock, same color. Every tile job has: damaged tiles, cuts, broken tiles and extra tiles for future use.
If a tile setter, who buys the tiles, ends up short of tiles, he is not a pro, can't figure how many tiles he needs or can't count, multiply and divide.
If you provided the tiles, then it's your fault.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I'm thinking the lines were caused by the equipment that surfaced the stones. I could probably live with that, its so close to a natural vein.
The 2 darker stones will never match the others. Tell the installer to replace half the light stones with dark, and do a checkerboard pattern. Or replace all of them so they match. Not your problembwe didnt order enough. Typically you order 10% extra.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking the lines were caused by the equipment that surfaced the stones. I could probably live with that, its so close to a natural vein.
The 2 darker stones will never match the others. Tell the installer to replace half the light stones with dark, and do a checkerboard pattern. Or replace all of them so they match. Not your problembwe didnt order enough. Typically you order 10% extra.
Thanks for the response. Is it a big job to replace the stones? They poured concrete as a base, so I'm guessing they're really stuck in there. Which of course is good for the long haul but not so good if we want to replace.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Depends how they were installed. The concrete could be a solid base and the stones are set on a sand bed. Might be set with thinset which be tricky to remove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts