DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have a mystery I can't seem to solve. My bathtub is stuck, nothing goes down, even tried pouring Drano and it's just sitting in the tub. I removed the water stopper and ran a 25ft snake with no results. But what's even weirder is that when I use the bathroom sink, the water rises up to the bathtub. What is that all about? I am so stuck with this. Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated. :vs_mad:

·
Premium Member
11,778 Posts
The level rising means the line from the lav and tub join together downstream. Remove the lav trap and try cabling from the there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick and insightful response...
My lav/bathroom faucet is so old, it has metal pipes that look soldered. I don't have at the moment any tool to open it. Can I still cable the snake by going through the top?

Thank you

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,421 Posts
Thanks for the quick and insightful response...
My lav/bathroom faucet is so old, it has metal pipes that look soldered. I don't have at the moment any tool to open it. Can I still cable the snake by going through the top?

Thank you
He meant, take the P trap apart, and snake through there.

You have a clog farther away than 25', get a longer snake.

ED

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
First, it is pretty difficult to get a snake to go through a trap. Second it is highly unlikely that a tub and sink drain connection is more than 25 foot apart. It is more likely that the snake went up the vent rather than down the drain.

Remove the tub overflow cover. Run about 1 or 2 inches of water in the tub. Wet a wash cloth and stuff in the overflow . You need to block the overflow for plunging to have any effect,

Plunge tub drain rapidly. You get more results from the suction action of plunging than you do from the pushing action.

You obviously only have a partial blockage in the drain line. You want to create enough water turbulence at the point of blockage to break up the blockage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts