DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New member here. Recently bought a new house where one of the rooms upstairs is always hot in the summer and cold in the winter. After using a thermal gun, found that a 6 foot area in the cieling has no insulation. However when I went into the attic, that area is inaccessible since they framed it out and there is no access to it. See images, the area is the one under the valley that can be seen at the front of the house. When in the attic, the roof slope continues with OSB sheets and there is no access to that area.

Is this normal and how do I access area and insulate without causing issues later? I was thinking of cutting out a section of the OSB sheets and placing insulation in there. But I worry about

1) Cutting out a section of the sheet that could cause the roof to become weak (obviously wouldn't cut the rafters)
2) if I open the areas then somehow create other issues like humidity or similar that could cause mold
Thanks for your help

·
retired framer
38,226 Posts
That should have been insulated from below a hole thru there could have be put there during construction. Just be sure you now where you are before you cut and you can cut a crawl thru hole , then later you can cut a hole near the top to help venting.
The insulation should have gone right up to the sheeting at the bump out area but the rest of the attic should have air chutes in every rafter bay.

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
I would cut a hole in the sheeting and enter the area. There should not be an issue with mold etc. since all it will do is create more ventilation. In fact it may help since there might not be much ventilation in there now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for the quick reply!

I will cut a crawl thru hole carefully to inspect and add insulation. I did notice that there isn't alot of air chutes in the rafter bays (its in about 1 in 3 rafter bays). Should I add more or is it based on climate? I live in Ontario where it's cold most of the year

Thanks alot for your help and being able to understand me although I don't know the proper terminology.

Kind regards

That should have been insulated from below a hole thru there could have be put there during construction. Just be sure you now where you are before you cut and you can cut a crawl thru hole , then later you can cut a hole near the top to help venting.
The insulation should have gone right up to the sheeting at the bump out area but the rest of the attic should have air chutes in every rafter bay.

I would cut a hole in the sheeting and enter the area. There should not be an issue with mold etc. since all it will do is create more ventilation. In fact it may help since there might not be much ventilation in there now.

·
retired framer
38,226 Posts
Missing insulation in the red area. That is the part in the attic that is framed out and i couldn't access to see under
Thanks!
There is not any insulation where you drew the red lines.

If we look down at your roof from above the area that I put red Xs in is where you need insulation.

Attachments

·
retired framer
38,226 Posts
Thanks alot for the quick reply!

I will cut a crawl thru hole carefully to inspect and add insulation. I did notice that there isn't alot of air chutes in the rafter bays (its in about 1 in 3 rafter bays). Should I add more or is it based on climate? I live in Ontario where it's cold most of the year

Thanks alot for your help and being able to understand me although I don't know the proper terminology.

Kind regards
One in every third was the old code, It is better with more, like every bay.
But with that you have to add a chunk of bat insulation under the chute so the loose insulation doesn't flow out to the soffet and that gives better insulation over the exterior wall.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,153 Posts
I've cut holes to access dormer areas in order to run wiring...mainly
for pot lights. My preferred tool is an electric chainsaw but a sawzall will do the job, just tricky to start the cut.

EDIT: Have fun up there. Heat warning today :)

·
Very Stable Genius
4,153 Posts
One other thought is that I expect you'll find that that area does have
vapour barrier. If the op could confirm or confute, it'd be appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts