DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now, after flushing my toilet, I notice that it keeps running.

I opened the top and noticed that this grey lever was not going back up in order for the toilet to stop.
Also, in the middle of the night I would hear the toilet start running on its own.

Do I need to replace anything? What is that thing called, that grey lever?

Any help would be appreciated. Right now, I have to put a stick to hold it up....lol Remove it when I need to flush and then put it back on again.
Getting tired....

Thanks so much. Plumbing fixture Plumbing

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used those cheap fluidmaster fill valves and had poor luck with them, perhaps I had too much water pressure in my house that ruined them. I had better luck with the old fashioned ones with the ball float.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Your float is set to high and water is running into the overflow tube---lower the float by adjusting the wire that connects the grey arm to the black body of the float.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your help.

Mike, I will try your suggestion.

I am wondering why out of the blue the grey lever will just fall on its own, after being flushed and the water filling properly and the toilet stops?
It seems like it can't hold itself up, or won't go into position after flushing.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
So change it. It's a $10.00 part and about a 10 min. fix.
Is the water draining out of the tank without being flushed causing it to drop?
Just add some red food coloring to the tank to see if it shows up in the bowl.
I've used at least 100 Fluid Master valves and never had one fail yet.
More often it trash on the shaft or trash insiide the valve causing issues not the valves fault.
To high a water pressure can cause all kinds of issues with a plumbing system.
There's no need for it to be any higher then 60 psi.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your float is set to high and water is running into the overflow tube---lower the float by adjusting the wire that connects the grey arm to the black body of the float.
Ok, here goes the stupid question of the day.....lol
How do I do that????
I just went upstairs to have a look, and I have a confused look on my face...lol
Where do I adjust?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ok, here goes the stupid question of the day.....lol
How do I do that????
I just went upstairs to have a look, and I have a confused look on my face...lol
Where do I adjust?
Squeeze the little stainless clip together (top to bottom) with your fingers. It's the clip the steel rod goes thru. When you do that you can move the float up or down on the steel rod to make water level adjustments. Just squeeze it enough to be able to move it (don't really squeeze it all the way together). The clip i'm talking about holds the float in position on the steel rod. It is just a friction clip that will slide up and down the rod, when squeezed. Hold the rod still, move the clip where you need it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
OMG, Lightfoot, you are a genius! Followed your instructions and it works.

Luv ya.....

Thanks so much everyone, you guys are amazing.
Now what would I do without this forum?

:thumbup:
:thumbsup:
glad it worked!
one big happy family here (for the most part:laughing:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.