DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I had a shed installed on my project property, a shed that for all intents and purposes was going to be nothing more than just that.... a shed. Since there isn't room for a garage except at great expense I figured a shed would do fine.

As it turns out the shed was so nice and roomy that I decided I simply couldn't leave it alone as just a simple shed.

I decided that I would run power to it, install an AC, a heater, lights, and a few outlets.

I haven't taken many pictures of the project so far because it was never intended to be more than just a shed lol.

So here's a couple of shots of the shed itself. It's 10x10x7





Originally I didn't want windows but they put them in anyway and as it turned out that would be to my benefit.....sort of...
I figured I could get away with putting a sub panel in the spot where a window was and I found the "perfect" panel, it was small and would fit in the window space with room to spare for wiring.





Unfortunately while looking for answers to Canadian Electrical Code I discovered that a panel in a detached building required a main breaker or master disconnect.
A sub panel as small as the one pictured does not exist with a main breaker.... so it was back to the drawing board, and now it as time to make serious modifications. as you can see from the previous pictures the panel sat nicely between the window except now I needed to use a larger 14.25" panel which meant widening the 2x4's on either side of the window.
On top of removing and moving th 2x4's on either side of the window I also had to cut the window trim.
the trim outside of the window is nailed to a "box" that sits inside the window. I had to remove the window trim and "box" inside of it, screw the trim together into one piece so the "box" would slide in from the front. I added to support beams to screw the sub panel to.
The black outline in this pic is the window trim, the red outline is the box inside the trim, I screwed them all together to make one single removable box.


Now that that was done I had to make room for the new and larger sub panel. That required moving the 2x4's on either side of the panel out a fe inches on either side.

With that done I had room for the new panel, but then I also had to cut out a section of the window frame "box" I made earlier.
Now it'll fit this larger panel. Compare the photos and you can see where I moved the 2x4's
You can also see where I had to cut the window frame "box"




I'm going to leave it there for now, I'll resume posting later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not able to go back and edit my posts so I'll continue from here :)

I noticed I spent a bit of time talking about this "box" that made up the window frame but I can't really describe it all that well.

Here is a picture without the sub panel. The window is boarded up from the front and I added two 2x3's to screw the sub panel to. You can see the original length of the barn boards (painted grey) that make up the window on the bottom. I had to cut the side and top pieces so the sub panel would fit in at the right depth.
I screwed the window trim to the wood inside and made a box that will slide out from the front of the shed if I need to take it out.
This probably still doesn't make much sense but I'll move on anyway :D


This kind of shows you what the window looked like from the inside originally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I have a spot for the sub panel it was time to begin working on the climate control, if I'm going to add power to the shed then I might as well put in an air conditioner too. 6000 BTU for 100Ft^2 should work nicely :)

Once again I didn't take pictures of everything I did here, and the situation would probably be different from yours anyway if you wanted to do the same unless you have the same shed as I do.
It was pretty basic but slightly tricky, just cut a hole in the shed, put the AC in and frame around it.

Here's a preliminary fit where I had put the AC in place, added 1x2's on either side that sit flush with the roof trusses, and some small pieces of left over plywood to shim the AC up and level it out. This roughly holds it in place so it won't fall.

Also visible here are the cross members I added to the roof trusses. My saw can't cut a 68 degree angle so they don't line up perfectly, but these aren't for support, they're only needed so I can have a flat spot on the ceiling to mount lights on.



The pieces of plywood for shimming/levelling


Here you can see the 1x2's that I added on top of the existing 1x2's beside the AC. This will flush up the wall and the roof portions so I can panel all the way up to the top.
Also visible are the 1x3 strips at the top and bottom of the AC, on the bottom that strip secures the AC's bottom tabs and locks it into place.
On the top it's just an added security measure. There's a 2x2 behind the lip on the top of the AC that would normally hold it in the window. The lip is screwed to the 2x2 and the 2x2 is screwed to the shed and framework beside the AC.
The 1x3 board secures all this together and holds on a block on the outside of the AC so it sandwiches it all together.




And this is what it looks like from outside. I'll post another pic when I finish putting some kind of trim around the AC. I already have 1x3's on the top and bottom. The 1x3 on the top is what the 1x3 on the inside is screwed to, so this outside 1x3 can't be unscrewed from the outside of the shed.

I was fortunate that the shed walls only cover a very very small portion of the AC vent slots, so it's performance shouldn't be hindered.




 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top